Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North Carolina, USA

There must be an amateur astronomy club in your area/state that you can contact for the best spots near you. It’s fairly common that club members have a designated dark sky area where club members meet, I would google astronomy clubs in your area and also call up telescope stores as they usually host such gatherings. After doing a quick search I have come up with this site which lists several astronomy clubs in your state, it’s a sure bet one of them will have all the info you need, joining one will be hugely beneficial.

https://www.astroleague.org/societies/NC

Best wishes and good luck with your search!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChknWhisperer said:

I live in central NC near Charlotte. Where are some of the better locations for astrophotography? 

Nearby or in general?  In general, parts of the American Southwest have excellent seeing conditions for the majority of the year.  There's even an area of Mayhill, NM, dedicated to astro enthusiasts.

NC deals with a lot of bad weather year round, so you're going to be up against it regardless of location.  I would guess coastal areas would have better seeing, being far from the turbulence induced by the Smokies to the west.

The Florida Keys have some of the best seeing conditions on the east coast of the US if you're thinking of a second home for astrophotography.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...