NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Risingcam IMX571 with Ekos/Kstars on Rpi Versus NINA

CedricTheBrave

I have recently purchased one of these and I have been quite impressed with it so far

Previously I have been using Ekos/kstars on my Rpi4 but reecently I have started testing a Windows mini PC with NINA installed to see if things are greener on the other side.

so far I really like NINA but would anyone know why the fits files sizes are so dramatically different when using ekos/kstars on my rpi4 to when I use it via NINA?

Rpi is the larger!

image.png.d150137bc85817f2a4585f7b9489f414.png

42 minutes ago, CedricTheBrave said:

I have recently purchased one of these and I have been quite impressed with it so far

Previously I have been using Ekos/kstars on my Rpi4 but reecently I have started testing a Windows mini PC with NINA installed to see if things are greener on the other side.

so far I really like NINA but would anyone know why the fits files sizes are so dramatically different when using ekos/kstars on my rpi4 to when I use it via NINA?

Rpi is the larger!

image.png.d150137bc85817f2a4585f7b9489f414.png

Huum 50673 is closest to the mark but slightly smaller than I would have expected give the quoted number if pixels. In each. Case what's the size of the image in terms of pixels? 

So it should be 

12 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

Affinity says its 25.9mp 6224 x 4168px

So it should be 51.8mb per file or 50586KB so with some meta data the 50673 is going to be the correct figure. No idea why the other file is larger..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adam J said:

So it should be 

So it should be 51.8mb per file or 50586KB so with some meta data the 50673 is going to be the correct figure. No idea why the other file is larger..

I did a quick check using GIMP - create and save a fits file of the same resolution - that came out as the 76,005kb figure of the RPi above. Some thoughts that may affect this:

1) Is NINA applying internal compression on the fits file to make it smaller?

2) Are both files at the same bit depth? My example with GIMP was 8bits per channel

both of mine should have been set to 16bit

not sure about compression

may post the question in the nina discord

On 24/09/2021 at 09:04, Shimrod said:

I did a quick check using GIMP - create and save a fits file of the same resolution - that came out as the 76,005kb figure of the RPi above. Some thoughts that may affect this:

1) Is NINA applying internal compression on the fits file to make it smaller?

2) Are both files at the same bit depth? My example with GIMP was 8bits per channel