Not quite new to solar imaging....but....

fortytwo

Hi everyone,

I have used Baader solar film to image the sun before but would like to move on and try Hydrogen Alpha imaging now.

I've done some reading and find myself with more questions than when I started so would like to run what I think I understand by the wiser folks here in the lounge for some confirmation.

1. I can't use a normal Ha filter such as one might use to image nebula?

2. I have to put the filter over the aperture of the OTA, not further along the imaging train?

3. I could use my SLR rather than a dedicated planetry camera or similar but the results might not be as good?

4. The correct filter is likely to cost far more than I realised, possibly more than £1000?

I am planning to use my Skywatcher 200 Explorer and as mentinoed an SLR (650d or 5dmk4), I couold consider using my Williams Optics Z73 or even my Canon 100-400 zoom but I want to get close in so probably not.

I would be grateful for a sense check of the above and for any recommendations or advice on methods or gear.

Thankyou in advance,

Jeff

Going from White Light solar observing to H alpha is a major step, both in costs and complexity.

1. No. Solar Ha needs a very narrow band (1A or better) this means using an etalon filter.

2. Generally yes. The common etalon filters LS60 etc mount at the front and use a secondary element "blocking filter" at the eyepiece end. https://davidastro.com/lunt-60mm-ha-etalon-filter/

3. DSLR could be used but for best results a mono camera is the way to go ASI 178, ASI 174 etc.

4. Yes! One option would be the Daystar Quark https://www.daystarfilters.com/Quark.shtml  

Using the WO 73 with a suitable filter would probably be the way to go.

18 hours ago, fortytwo said:

I am planning to use my Skywatcher 200 Explorer and as mentinoed an SLR (650d or 5dmk4), I couold consider using my Williams Optics Z73 or even my Canon 100-400 zoom but I want to get close in so probably not.

Putting a full aperture filter over a 200 explorer plus a Daystar quark is an expensive route to take, and may not give the best results (not even sure it would work). I think a refractor based system would be better so I would be using the WO73mm if I were you, with a Quark and 2” Baader 35nm Ha filter on the front of the diagonal.

The benefit of the Quark with WO73mm is that you can upgrade your refractor in future in order to get higher res images, either to something like a 100mm f7 apo or even a 152mm f5.9. Neither need more than a 2” Baader 35nm Ha filter in front of the diagonal barrel plus the Quark.

Thankyou both for your replies, its as I thought that the cost at the moment is the spanner in the works, especially for something that would not be used often.

I do like the quark route though so will bera it mind when funds allow.

Thankyou again,

Jeff