Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary accessories for a 180 mak?

So I've got a 180 MAK and a ZWO224 camera, I've added an ADC and looking to improve my images of Jupiter and Saturn some more. 

I'm now looking at an IR cut filter and Barlow but wondered on people's recommendations? 

Anything else I'm maybe missing too? 

I stuck on a Baader steeltrack focuser and lakeside focus controller. You don't need to go with that selection, but adding a focuser and controller made it so much easier getting focus. The Lakeside controller being an ascom device enables you at some point in the future of remote focus control. It does add a fair amount of weight though.

Does the ADC make much difference? 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about adding a EAF to it as I have one on my esprit. The lack of use at the moment has swayed me otherwise though, we'll see. 

Yes the ADC is good, I feel I've still to use it on a great seeing night but for what it costs I'd say it's worth it yes. 

You should not need the Barlow with such a long focal ratio instrument. I have tried using a Barlow with my f10 SCT but found that it rarely gave any improvement.

ZWO sell inexpensive IR-cut and IR-pass filters to match the ASI224MC camera. You will need the IR-cut filter to get a correct colour balance in colour images.

You may find a flip-mirror diagonal of great assistance in locating and re-finding some targets.

And don't forget that essential piece of equipment that manufacturers don't like including - the dew shield. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 2x Barlow on my Skymax 180, as there's no such thing as too much focal length when shooting planets 🙂

Usually, most planetary camera sensors have optimum sampling around f/20, so a 1.5x to 2x Barlow should complement nicely the Skymax.

An electronic focuser is also quite helpful. Manually focusing is quite shaky for me on my HEQ5 mount.

Enjoy,

N.F.