Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Power Coupler

Newforestgimp

Hi All,

im searching for, without much success, a 12v 5.5x2.1 male input to canon DSLR dummy battery ?

I already have a mains supply coupler and a USB coupler but ideally I’d like one with standard dc plug input with the necessary step down to 7v for DSLR.

Anyone found something that provides a really neat solution to powering their DSLR ?

regards

Andy

This was discussed a few months back.  I got slated for using a standard 7808 8v regulator as I hadn't included the smoothing caps in the setup !  

My scope is in its observatory, with a small power box attached to the pier.  In this box I have the 12v coming in, passing through to a connector which then has a cable that powers the mount.  The feed in is split and taken to a 7808 8v regulator with a couple of electrolytic capacitors to give a stable 8v DC out to a second connector.  A lead then goes off to a dummy battery that I made by taking out the two rechargeable cells.  This powers my Canon 400D without any issues.

There are loads of commercial options to power cameras form the mains... just google   - Here's an example

25 minutes ago, malc-c said:

This was discussed a few months back.  I got slated for using a standard 7808 8v regulator as I hadn't included the smoothing caps in the setup !  

My scope is in its observatory, with a small power box attached to the pier.  In this box I have the 12v coming in, passing through to a connector which then has a cable that powers the mount.  The feed in is split and taken to a 7808 8v regulator with a couple of electrolytic capacitors to give a stable 8v DC out to a second connector.  A lead then goes off to a dummy battery that I made by taking out the two rechargeable cells.  This powers my Canon 400D without any issues.

There are loads of commercial options to power cameras form the mains... just google   - Here's an example

Thank you, I can’t say I understand the reply as I’m a bit of an electrickery phobic, but I do own two couplers like the one you linked, but a looking forward one that I can run from the mounts distributed 12v supply, hence why I need a 5.5x2.1 input plug > voltage step down > dummy battery.

Something like this ??

But it would still need to have some form of step down regulation between it and the 12v mount supply (which in essence is what I described).

Not sure you will find an off the shelf product that has a standard 2.1mm centre positive connector at one end,  and a canon dummy battery with built in voltage drop from 12v to 8v at the other

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

I will be doing something similar to what Malc has suggested, but using an XL4005 buck converter so that I have screw terminals instead of having to do any soldering. It'll need a bit more tinkering to get it in a small box with a DC 5.5/2.1 connector, but at least its cheap 😉

NB - I won't be using DC 5.5/2.1 connectors for anything other than 12v (I see that some dummy plugs have 5.5/2.1 connectors, but are only for 8v). I don't trust my astrodark self to no plug the wrong thing in 😉  

Ady

• Like 1