Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 - Edge stars elongated

Like several others I took advantage of the first clear sky for ages.  This is 3 hrs of data on M31, 120s subs.  The stars at the edges are elongated and look terrible but the ones in the centre are ok by comparison.

I have some issues with guiding to sort out and I'm struggling to get the focus working reliably but first things first, any ideas what my issue with the stars is?

Could it be something to do with where the filter is?  Before I got the ASI2600 I was using a Nikon Z6 and the filter was mounted in the flattener, about as far away from the sensor as it could be.  Now its in the filter drawer set up like the attached image.  I seem to remember reading something which might be relevant but I cant find it now.

EQM-35 Pro

ZenithStar61 plus flattener

Optolong CLS filter

ASI 2600MC pro

Guiding with and ASI120mm mini and William Optics 50mm Slide-base Uniguide scope

ZWO focuser

M31_stretched.jpg

APS-C-format-cooled-camera-M42-filter-drawer.jpg

10 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

We don't see many of these but IIRC (68mm), you need an extra 13mm between the FF and the sensor.

HTH

yes it does thank you.  Looking at the manual again I need to adjust the flattener to 12.9 to get the total of 67.9.  Thats what I had before with my Nikon - duh!

• Like 1