NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suitable power supply?_ALLPOWERS Portable Generator 288Wh

Does anyone know if this product or something similar would be a better replacement for leisure batteries. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-Portable-Generator-Emergency-Technology/dp/B081DSC1HD/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJEGPKJZJYAVDYJ5BHD2

It seems like the perfect thing for me to use, It has sockets for laptops, cig sockets for dew heaters and the mount. My leisure battery doesn't charge all the way, maybe i need to top up the acid cells or something I don't know, it's a 75amp battery. I need something quick and easy to set up, no mods, no soldering, low maintenance and no pulling my arm out the socket with the weight! My laptop can last 2 hours, I'm only using the mount, but when it gets cold i'd need the dew heater and camera fan if it's a good night for dss.

9 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

My leisure battery doesn't charge all the way, maybe i need to top up the acid cells or something I don't know, it's a 75amp battery

The "portable generator" has only slightly higher capacity (78ah). Leisure batteries are maintenance free gel cells so don't require topping up, they just lose efficiency over time. 

• Thanks 1

In round figures, a lithium battery is around 1/3 the size and weight of a similar power lead acid.

Lead acid degrades with time regardless of how nice you are to it.
The clock starts ticking the day it is assembled.

Lithium cells tend to last for a number of charge/discharge cycles, rather than degrade on the calendar.
For (intermittent between cloudy nights) astro use, lithium can be expected to easily outlive lead acid.

At first sight, it appears to be a no brainer to go for lithium.

However, this kit contains a lot more than just lithium cells.
It contains a charger, and invertor, and more.
Just how well built are these items?
Do you know the manufacturer?

Lithium cells are potentially very dangerous if not used and applied correctly.

I know from experience that a lot of the consumer products coming out of China have fake safety and/or electrical compliance certifications.
I have seen unsuitable chargers, incorrect mains leads for the application and even fake mains fuses. Yes FAKE FUSES!
One of the 'best' I saw was a Segway scooter copy shipped air freight. Dodgy batteries on arrival and the seller recommending a dangerous charge technique to 'kick them to life'.
There was no sign of any UN38 transport approval for the HUGE battery pack.
The seller shipped then a replacement battery pack - again by air.

If I was interested in this (unknown name) product, I would buy one and take it apart.
After an assessment I would either use it with a smile, or take advantage of Amazon's returns policy.
Ah but just a minute. This is a non returnable item! That has to tell you something.

Advising someone who does not have the know how to carry out a technical assessment, I say, stick with a known brand.

HTH, David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want an all singing, all dancing outdoor power supply, American brand Jackery is very popular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Outdoors/dp/B08RNPYLQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2DO5LFYEFCD2K&dchild=1&keywords=jackery+240&qid=1631103705&sprefix=jackery&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRkI4TzRFUktCNUFCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDU3OTM2M0xIUTJVQk5ZTTlUTSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDM5MjE1MVAzNjQ3NjYxWVNCRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Unfortunately you just missed a £60 off 3 day sale. I tried to convince the missus to go halves on one 'for camping' but she wouldn't take the bait. 🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I know from experience that a lot of the consumer products coming out of China have fake safety and/or electrical compliance certifications.

there's even a spelling mistake on the ad, it has a lot of 5 sar reviews one of them mentioning the use for telescopes but also noting the bad AC ouputs which several have confirmed. It all points to China which is a country I never trust

4 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Unfortunately you just missed a £60 off 3 day sale. I tried to convince the missus to go halves on one 'for camping' but she wouldn't take the bait. 🙄

Wish you didn't include that there was a 60£ off previously lol, now I'm tempted to wait for the next one which could be anytime! When is the next clear night though, probably will be down to 200 by then 😑