NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camera for observatory , what are you using ?

Padraig

I was thinking of putting a camera in my ROR , and was wondering what others were using ?  I have one of those "nest" Wi-Fi cameras which would probably do, but I have to figure out how to connect it a ethernet network switch hubs ? Any thoughts.....

Do a quick search here, there have been similar topics before but in summary, watch out for the IR leds, they can cause grief while imaging. Otherwise any IP camera will do, I haven't found I e yet sensitive enough to use without illumination of some kind. 

Thanks, 

I was going to use it when away from home, just to check in occasionally. Would you know what device I would need to connect to my Ethernet switch to generate a WiFi. There’s so much jargon surrounding “I. T. “ it has my head spinning 😵💫 

here’s a the type of switch I’m using

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-GS105UK/dp/B0000E5SEQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+switch+4+port&qid=1629797464&sprefix=ethernet+sw&sr=8-12

Any advice appreciated 

This is my solution from another thread

" I solved my problem by buying this camera with starlight capability.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/37601-dahua-technology-ipc-hdw4231em-ase-0360/

It is a POE device so only one cable, accessible from anywhere by logging into its IP address.

Loads of complex functionality that I have not used yet, but critically you can turn off the IR illumination.

Works well enough for me to see what is going on under starlight."

With roof closed, no lights and full dark you can see the scope orientation (Is it parked in the right place?), but not much else. With the roof open and a couple of power LED pinlights around I have always been able to see what is going on. Starlight, skyglow, power lights give me enough light.

• Thanks 2

Seems like a robust bit of kit,

I thinking of making use of a nest camera that I already have. 
image.jpeg.d7cec0bccda1fcb40040906e5670a279.jpeg

I have Ethernet down in observatory but I’ll have to figure what device to get WiFi to run camera. 
thanks