Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Travels with a dob

On 23/10/2022 at 16:29, Louis D said:

Believe me, no American would mistake it for a big car.  It appears to be even smaller than a Mini Cooper S, which is considered tiny by US standards.  It's not imported into the US, though.

They think my half ton 4x4 is a tank lol.  

On 22/10/2022 at 08:00, cajen2 said:

A word of warning (depending on which dob you've got). My Oklop bag fits my 8" StellaLyra exactly, but only if I take the side alt bearings off, which is a PITA. If I'd known, I'd have bought the bag for the 10" version. If by any chance yours is similar, consider going large! 

Go big or go home.... Always sound advice. 

On 23/10/2022 at 11:15, Pixies said:

My 8" Bresser dob fits along the back seat of my VW Up. For those in the states - this is not a big car, you can't even get 3 adults in the back seat:

image.png.d606becbdbdd0bc251d7b5f05b549ecf.png

image.png.8fb266f781d960ade136aebcf01790b5.png

However, the base needs to go in the passenger seat unless you break it down.

Thats not a car thats a speed bump lol.  

14 hours ago, Mike Q said:

Thats not a car thats a speed bump lol.  

On the other hand, have you seen how narrow some of their roads and streets are?  They were laid out centuries or even millennia before cars or trucks were a thing.  I don't know if you could even fit your 4x4 truck down some of their lanes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Louis D said:

On the other hand, have you seen how narrow some of their roads and streets are?  They were laid out centuries or even millennia before cars or trucks were a thing.  I don't know if you could even fit your 4x4 truck down some of their lanes.

I have been to Europe and yeah..... Those are some narrow roads, but a truck would fit but it would be tight

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

Sure.....did you know, many American cars still use cart springs? Great for covered wagons....🙄

Whats a cart spring?  I know of leaf spring or coil springs and have changed them both.  

They do just fine.  I handled the twists and turns ups and downs of the mountains in Pennsylvania with no issues.  I was apexing all through them.... In my lane of course.