SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Travels with a dob

I'm curious as to how people transport their dobs. 

I'm taking my Heritage 150p on a little trip and have been working out how best to secure and protect it in the car.

I've seen photos of the larger ones buckled in like passengers in the back seat.

I'm used to musical instruments being lugged around in padded or hard cases, so I was really surprised as a newbie that so many OTAs don't have them as a standard accessory!

MiladyB x

Well , having just acquired a 12”revelation dob I can tell you , it’s a faff . I had to drive around 125 miles home after collecting it and I was so nervous doing so . Sure , it was packed tightly enough but I had to lower the seats and pack it in coats and blankets to stop it rolling around . Put it this way … it’s home in my home … and the only travelling it will do for the foreseeable future is into the garden :) I think your heritage is nice and compact so you can indeed belt it in . Don’t forget to check the collimation when you set it up though. 

6AEF5638-F7E3-435B-B1BF-74A34C5D7B18.jpeg

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 3

My 10” Dob regularly gets transported by car to my clubs dark site. The tube assembly fits across the back seat.  The scope has thick altitude rings and I use one of those to tie to the headrest supports with thin rope. I find that’s easier than using the rear seat belts. The mount is laid in the boot along with my observing seat, eyepiece box, and other accessories. A large plastic bag contains extra clothing, that can go anywhere. It takes no longer than 5 minutes to load up. As the back seat has standard upholstery no more protection for the tube is needed.  

Ed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Well , having just acquired a 12”revelation dob I can tell you , it’s a faff . I had to drive around 125 miles home after collecting it and I was so nervous doing so . Sure , it was packed tightly enough but I had to lower the seats and pack it in coats and blankets to stop it rolling around . Put it this way … it’s home in my home … and the only travelling it will do for the foreseeable future is into the garden :) I think your heritage is nice and compact so you can indeed belt it in . Don’t forget to check the collimation when you set it up though. 

6AEF5638-F7E3-435B-B1BF-74A34C5D7B18.jpeg

Wow, I can imagine that was not an easy task!

I still have the foam that was under the OTA when I got the Heritage so I might pop that back on to minimise the bumps - I'll definitely check the collimation though, as you suggest. 👍

Milady B x

• Like 1

My 12 inch Tube also sits across the back seat and the dob base in the boot- inevitably there are many astro accoutrements that I need to carry and those I use to carefully wedge the Tube in snugly to reduce wobble- so far so good as I touch wood, kiss a rabbits foot and anything else I can do to ward off the evil eye- now I just have to find my truss so that I can actually lift the big B*strd into the car!!!

Edited by jacobingonzo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

My 10” Dob regularly gets transported by car to my clubs dark site. The tube assembly fits across the back seat.  The scope has thick altitude rings and I use one of those to tie to the headrest supports with thin rope. I find that’s easier than using the rear seat belts. The mount is laid in the boot along with my observing seat, eyepiece box, and other accessories. A large plastic bag contains extra clothing, that can go anywhere. It takes no longer than 5 minutes to load up. As the back seat has standard upholstery no more protection for the tube is needed.  

Ed.

Your setup sounds like the way I pack the car for camping - everything has its place. I'm going to have to work out how to fit my scope in with all that as well 😄🤦🏻‍♀️

MiladyB x

Edited by MiladyB
  • Like 2

Haha Yes indeed -Im travelling to a star party in November for a week in a caravan near the Galloway Forest and I have to somehow fit the Big lump in the car along with clothes , food etc and with all the other camping sort of stuff. Ive come to the conclusion the Memsahib will be travelling on the roof rack but at least the tube will be snug as a bug!

Edited by jacobingonzo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MiladyB said:

Wow, I can imagine that was not an easy task!

I still have the foam that was under the OTA when I got the Heritage so I might pop that back on to minimise the bumps - I'll definitely check the collimation though, as you suggest. 👍

Milady B x

Yes the foam packaging acts as a buffer absorbing any vibration. The foam blocks that came with one of mine are used as a cradle which are combined with some foam camping mats. If just taking the 8" out, it is then  seat belted across the rear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ed I admire that you’ve got this off to a fine art :) 

Thanks, but although this happens as often as possible I still keep a list of what’s needed. Vital extras include dew busting kit. I have a camping mat foam tube extender, that helps to slow down dewing of the secondary. On damp nights I try to remember to check the secondary about every 15-20 minutes. Just remove the eyepiece and visually check with dim red torch, I use a 12v “hair dryer” if any misting is seen.  If you leave it until water drops have formed it’s game over for the night.  Perhaps a better solution is a low power heat pad on the back of the secondary, or I have seen similar within the secondary holder itself, if the design allows that.

The above is when the only reason I’m going out is to travel to my clubs dark site. When my wife was alive we used to go on holiday by car, then including astronomy kit was very different.  Something much smaller works for that, it’s then a scope like the Skywatcher Heritage 130 or 150 with the collapsing tube would be great. One year we went to north Norfolk and I took my 70mm TV Pronto. I didn’t feel cheated in the least, had a great time with low power wide field, not forgetting my trusty UltraBlock filter…..in fact I had one of the best nights ever at Kelling star party, it was liberating to use such simple low-tech kit.

Ed.

• Like 3

When I purchased my 12"dob I was nervous about getting it home it didn't fit across the back seats I had to put it in the car boot with seats lowered down I had a large box and used 4 spare duvet covers and padded the box out .

I had to drive slowly all the way home roads in Ireland are narrow and full of pot holes.

Screenshot_20210802-222209_Chrome~2.jpg

• Like 2

The topic made me think of this :p 

sc1.jpg.dee948aec9218e735e6f07f9984463b1.jpg

I live in the center of town so my garden is not the place to be when hunting fuzzies. 

There is a better spot about 20 minutes away so I usually go there and take my stuff in the car. The car is big enough but that's good for 1 night, and no extra luggage. 

When portability is in mind, AND you need to save some space, your best bang for the buck comes from Sumerian Optics. 

My big scope collapses to this :

sc2.thumb.jpg.9b28922ed74aa84556768829f3699d68.jpg

And when going on an airplane, I can take my 12" (but I leave the cover at home), which collapses to this: (not my pic)

sc3.thumb.jpg.29ead3e9a24c3dd1f71ab774d8670825.jpg

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

I live in the center of town so my garden is not the place to be when hunting fuzzies. 

There is a better spot about 20 minutes away so I usually go there and take my stuff in the car. The car is big enough but that's good for 1 night, and no extra luggage. 

When portability is in mind, AND you need to save some space, your best bang for the buck comes from Sumerian Optics. 

And when going on an airplane, I can take my 12" (but I leave the cover at home), which collapses to this: (not my pic)

Always been intrigued by a truss tube dob … maybe mrs Stu1smartcookie would be more impressed  🤣… I’ve even had to buy a new shed !  Lol

Ok only a baby 8" Dobsonian so a tad easier to handle, safe inside it's Oklop carrying bag, sits inside my boot along side the tripod and SkyTee mount.

I find it easier to use this mount rather than the original plywood base, a far better height for my eyes and saves my ageing knees.bagged.thumb.jpg.8727ed081516cdefb0ce1b04042beddc.jpg1811878635_dobready.thumb.jpg.5a9441ba08032a3a7217614958f94311.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Now THAT is a collapsible dob!

MiladyB x

• Like 1

To me a solid tube makes sense up to 8" - 10" with f.l. of 1200mm. These sizes fit the back seat of a car. With a focal length longer than 1200mm, I don't see any advantage in using solid tubes, whereas I do see many advantages in a truss design.

I am aware that this comment will be confronted, given the fact that here in the UK people seem to prefer solid tubes no matter what.

I wonder whether this preference is primarily due to the design of the UK Orion optics VX solid tube dobson, and people willing to stick to UK brand / choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piero said:

To me a solid tube makes sense up to 8" - 10" with f.l. of 1200mm. These sizes fit the back seat of a car. With a focal length longer than 1200mm, I don't see any advantage in using solid tubes, whereas I do see many advantages in a truss design.

I am aware that this comment will be confronted, given the fact that here in the UK people seem to prefer solid tubes no matter what.

I wonder whether this preference is primarily due to the design of the UK Orion optics VX solid tube dobson, and people willing to stick to UK brand / choice.

I too am a truss dob fan,  mainly for the portability, rapid cool down and ease of getting it to a dark sky site.    I have to say that the loss of collimation issues do get a bit overblown with truss dobs. I’ve found that collimation holds well and is quick to adjust as part of any routine set up.

I can however see the advantages of the simpler, solid tube design such as cost and if you don’t plan to transport it.

John

It is quite logical to go with a truss design dob for transportation on mid to large aperture.

I use an OOUK 8 and 14" dob, which is of course solid tube. They are a little lighter than alternatives, but of course the 14" out into the street from my terrace town house is quite a spectacle for any passers by, not for everyone, understandably. I love the aperture but do somethings think an OOUK 10" would be the way the go. On the flip side, besides a bit of grunting, it is quick and easy to set up and then later slide back into the car. It can be about using what you've got, applying the way you want to use it, which most times for myself, does involve going out to a dark sky location; which is also long overdue.   

52 minutes ago, westmarch said:

I have to say that the loss of collimation issues do get a bit overblown with truss dobs. I’ve found that collimation holds well and is quick to adjust as part of any routine set up.

I don't see where the problem with checking collimation before observing is. It takes a fraction of time and it guarantees that the telescope optics are aligned. For me that's standard procedure. 

Said this, if the trusses are numbered, the telescope assembling will only require a small collimation touch at most.

If one is concerned with preserving collimation while using the telescope, well then that person could opt for a truss dobsonian that is sturdy.

Ultraportable truss dobsonians, like nearly all the European ones, are optimised for reduced weight and compactness, not for sturdiness. One can optimise a truss dobsonian for sturdiness. This will be less compact, but the weight of each component will still make it portable with minimal or no flexure. Also, collimation can be affected by other aspects which go beyond trusses. Primary mirror cell, secondary support, focuser are also very important. For these, a solid tube doesn't offer any advantage. Actually, the very small clearance between mirror and tube wall is more a disadvantage, particularly in larger apertures.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Piero said:

I think the preference is as much about availability as anything else Piero. I think in the US there are many more truss dob manufacturers, and the skies also support much larger dobs. Over here I know only of David Luckhurst, and Sumerians which are available but I guess there are others too.

I’vee had a couple of Sumerians. The first was a 16” Canopus which I really enjoyed though only used it a few times. It was deemed ‘floppy’ bumpy the dob mob, but to me it was a good compromise of portability and performance given what I could manage at the time. The 14” Alkaid was even more extreme, much more portable and gave me some fabulous views where no other 14” scope would have been able to make the trip; see my Saundersfoot report. So, they are compromised but ultimately still give excellent views and may well be the only way of getting bigger aperture to darker sites.

• Like 2

I used to take my 12 inch F/5.3 dob to outreach events around Bristol with the Bristol AS and to the SGL star party. The optical tube just about fits in my regular size hatchback car with one of the split rear seats folded flat. The base stands in the boot / trunk on the other side from the OTA.

I was always pleasantly surprised how little the collimation shifted during transport despite the relatively simple nature of the primary mirror cell in my scope.

• Like 1

I take the back seat out of my Chevy Astro van and put the solid tube Dob vertically in a corner in the back corner.  It's packed in with other gear, so it doesn't fall over.

I also have a 15" truss Dob that folds up into a 24" square cube with the truss tubes in a slip case.  The challenge with it is that it weighs over 100 pounds packed.  It takes two people, one on each side handle, to lift it out of the back of the van onto a wheeled platform to move it to the observing location.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Piero said:

Not sure that’s the reason … I have no preference between the two but as you know I have a solid tube dob … that wouldn’t prevent me from buying a truss dob in the future , if only for the small footprint . I suppose one advantage albeit small is that a solid tube and base is just a 5 minute set up whereas a truss takes a bit longer . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Not sure that’s the reason … I have no preference between the two but as you know I have a solid tube dob … that wouldn’t prevent me from buying a truss dob in the future , if only for the small footprint . I suppose one advantage albeit small is that a solid tube and base is just a 5 minute set up whereas a truss takes a bit longer . 

This is how I take my 16" to my garden. It's about 20 meters each way and the telescope remains assembled.

Assembling the telescope involves attaching the trusses, the UTA on the trusses, and put on the light shroud. That's about 5 minutes.

Collimation with HG laser and 1/4” white Catseye triangle (which helps indicate which bolt to turn) takes less than 5 minutes, whereas day or night time.

Assembling those ramps takes another 5 minutes (the actual difference from solid tubes). 

Lifting the telescope via wheelbarrow handles is like lifting about 6-7kg.

IMG_20210529_200925.thumb.jpg.a9a8e679876f34fc973f545117355479.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Piero said:

This is how I take my 16" to my garden. It's about 20 meters each way and the telescope remains assembled.

Assembling the telescope involves attaching the trusses, the UTA on the trusses, and put on the light shroud. That's about 5 minutes.

Collimation with HG laser and 1/4” white Catseye triangle (which helps indicate which bolt to turn) takes less than 5 minutes, whereas day or night time.

Assembling those ramps takes another 5 minutes (the actual difference from solid tubes). 

Lifting the telescope via wheelbarrow handles is like lifting about 6-7kg.

IMG_20210529_200925.thumb.jpg.a9a8e679876f34fc973f545117355479.jpg

Love the ramps ...i will need something like this to move mine from a shed to the garden . Nice One . ( Maybe my next purchase will be a Dob like this but as Stu wrote , they are not as popular here . Every now and then i see Meade versions advertised . 

• Thanks 1