Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WinJupos - stacking Jupiter

As you know, stacking images reduced noise while boosting signal. 
But what happens if your target, in this case Jupiter, rotates so fast you can only take 2 minute captures before Jupiter’s own rotation blues the image?

Derotate a series of captures in WinJupos that takes into account Jupiter’s own rotation. By inspection, WinJupos must be using, I guess, clever spherical trigonometry maths to do this. 

I found this surprisingly effective using some captures I took on 21 July and put together a short video that, I hope, is useful for planetary imagers. 

• Like 5

Thanks. Very informative. Much like I do, though I run it through Registax wavelets again after Winjupos with the wavelet settings quite low just to tease a bit more out. 😀

Also the short duration video is important on any planets if you have an Alt/Az mount due to field rotation as well, especially if your pointing near the meridian where the field rotation is greatest, though Autostackert can correct for that too as long as it isn't too great. 🙂

Alan

Sorry for slow reply. I have been building and finessing a concrete pier in the obsy and am slowly catching up with my admin (and resting my shoulders!). 

I think you are right, Craig and Craney.  WinJupos is such a powerful piece of software that in addition to derotation, can also map and measure planetary images.  Its UI, though, is a bit off-putting as it assumes a lot of prior knowledge. That being said, for the price, we cannot really complain. 

And, yes good point Alan re alt-az scopes.  I am used to my EQ so did not think of field rotation limiting exposure length.