Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Esprit dew shield droop and focuser travel

As a now proud owner of an Esprit 120 I am disappointed about two issues with the scope. Neither affect its performance, however given the cost, I am surprised to even mention them.

The first relates to the near impossibility of preventing the dew shield ‘drooping’. Does strike me as a non mechanical engineer that it is very poorly designed. I wonder if members with this scope experience a similar issue and have found a solution.

The second relates to the focuser travel. Mine needs to be out to 8.2cm to achieve focus with the standard flattener giving very little latitude for adjustment particularly as I intend to fit my ZWO motor at some point. I have read the earlier posts on the forum from last December about this issue but can find nothing on dew shield droop!

Any comment would be appreciated. Thank - John

I have the 150 and the dewshield can droop a little if the two locking screws are not tight.  I have fitted a foot long plastic tube extension to the existing shield (not dew control related) so some droop is inevitable. However, as you say it doesn't affect the performance of the scope at all.

With the standard flattener fitted, the focuser is out at 6.3cm with an imaging camera on there.

29 minutes ago, Grierson said:

proud owner of an Esprit 120 I am disappointed about two issues

Yes to both.

1. Dew shield.  The best I can do is ensure that it is fully out and tighten the screws as hard as reasonable.

2. Yes, the focuser is a long way out, which leaves little room after the flattener for anything much.  I currently have what I think is tilt and I wonder if this is one source of it.  I’ve also has issues with the Sesto Senso focuser slipping.  

That said, it’s a great scope and I’ve resolved to make this season (if we get any clear nights) something of an Esprit 120 fest.

Tony

Edited by AKB

57 minutes ago, tomato said:

With the standard flattener fitted, the focuser is out at 6.3cm with an imaging camera on there.

Hmmm… mine’s at 7.3, but there again it’s an early model with a helinear focuser.