Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescopes Direct

centroid

I have been searching around for an HEQ5-Pro mount, and known retailers like FlO, Altair, and RVO, do not have any in stock, along with almost every other outlet in the UK.

I found that a company called Telescopes Direct, do have one or more in stock. at the same price quoted by the above dealers. However, they are a completely an unknown entity to me, and using an 0203 telephone number, raised my suspicions. 0203 numbers are often used by scammers, and the 0203 code gives the impression that they are in London. but this is not always the case.

On doing a bit of digging on Companies House, I found that they are a Trading Arm of New Vision Optics Ltd, and are located in Ely. Owned by a Mr & Mrs Kostyaeva.

Of course my suspicions might be totally unfounded, and they might well be a reputable company, but  if I were going to hand over £999 to them, I would like to know more.

Have any of you guys dealt with them, and if so how did you find them.

I know that The Widescreen Centre has the HEQ5-Pro in stock, at the same price, but I had a bad experience in dealing with them several years ago.

Upadate:- I now find that Telescopes Direct and The Widescreen Centre, are one and the same company.

Curiouser and curiouser, the phone number given on the Widescreen Centre's website, is no longer in service.

Edited by centroid

4 hours ago, centroid said:

I have been searching around for an HEQ5-Pro mount, and known retailers like FlO, Altair, and RVO, do not have any in stock, along with almost every other outlet in the UK.

I found that a company called Telescopes Direct, do have one or more in stock. at the same price quoted by the above dealers. However, they are a completely an unknown entity to me, and using an 0203 telephone number, raised my suspicions. 0203 numbers are often used by scammers, and the 0203 code gives the impression that they are in London. but this is not always the case.

On doing a bit of digging on Companies House, I found that they are a Trading Arm of New Vision Optics Ltd, and are located in Ely. Owned by a Mr & Mrs Kostyaeva.

Of course my suspicions might be totally unfounded, and they might well be a reputable company, but  if I were going to hand over £999 to them, I would like to know more.

Have any of you guys dealt with them, and if so how did you find them.

I know that The Widescreen Centre has the HEQ5-Pro in stock, at the same price, but I had a bad experience in dealing with them several years ago.

Upadate:- I now find that Telescopes Direct and The Widescreen Centre, are one and the same company.

Curiouser and curiouser, the phone number given on the Widescreen Centre's website, is no longer in service.

If you do a bit more digging, you can see the domain name has been around for 20 years, although New Vision Optical have only been around for 8 years. The accounts show assets of £6,000 and one employee - from that I would assume this is a drop shipper rather than a company that maintains any level of stock. In itself, that would make me question whether the HEQ5 is really available. I also don't trust any website where I cannot easily find an office or shop address.

I've no experience of the company myself, but it is one I would steer clear of based on 5 minutes of research.

• Thanks 1

The Widescreen Centre and Telescope Direct used to advertise together back in the day in Astronomy Now. Check out Astronomy Now December 2002. I bought my 2nd telescope from Telescope Direct about that time being a Helios 200 (8") Newtonian and had much fun with it.  I paid about £450. Not sure of current status for the company but I'd probably choose someone that is more mainstream.

EDIT SORRY.

It was Warehouse Express where I bought my scope from as advertised in most Astronomy Now mags at least dating back to Jan 2001. I collect Astronomy Now mags as you probably have noticed. Lol.

Edited by dust of time
Incorrect Data

39 minutes ago, johninderby said:

ScamAdvisor report is not very encouraging about them. 

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/telescopes-direct.com

I wasn't happy with my findings John, so I dismissed them. Have now ordered one from supplier, with good reviews. Paid £30 more, but that is 'small change' in a £1000. Also it appears to have been the last one in the UK.

Just a few words of advice, especially when parting with anything over £100... pay all or some of it on a credit card.  Your consumer rights then mean that the credit card company is equally responsible should you run into issues (the can't deliver etc and won't refund you the money etc...)  In the event that you may be scammed it would give you an added layer of protection.  Don't use debit cards for anything more than you are willing to lose.  It's no different to giving someone cash, and in the event of seeking redress through your bank, a charge back is not easy to obtain.