Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pegasus Flatmaster

I have always struggled with automating the taking of flats - I like to do it properly - a full set for each filter (L,R,G,B,Ha,SIIand OIII) and binned 1x1 and 2x2 for each filter which is quite time consuming although the library that this creates lasts for for a full season.

I saw an advert for the Pegasus Flatmaster and made enquiries of the Widescreen Centre who were listed as a UK supplier as I had read reviews that the exposure time for narrowband was excessive - they were very helpful and allayed my fears.

It arrived and I set it up last night - all very straightforward and it integrates fully and easily with the NINA Flats Wizard

Part of the setup involves adjusting the brightness (from within NINA) to get acceptable exposure times - I like to always be over 5 seconds as I use a mechanical shutter camera.

Once set up for each filter NINA saves the results and when a Flats sequence is made it populates every filter with the correct exposure time and panel brightness.

I set it running and this morning I was greeted by a full set of perfectly exposed flats filed by binning and filter.

The longest exposure time was the SII filter at 42 seconds for 32000 ADU at 100% brightness.

The ability to adjust the brightness from the PC is a revelation and works really well.

The Flatmaster comes with its own software for those not using capture programmes.

It also integrates with other capture programmes such as APT and SGP etc.

Summary - not a cheap solution but a very good one.

Product details here - https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/pegasus-flatmaster-flat-field-illuminator.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2