NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting guide set up- so many sockets so little clue!

Swoop1

I have in my sweaty hands a ZWO ASI120MINI camera, a ZWO ASI290MC and a Sony a6300, under my sweaty fingertips a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop (PHD2 installed) and atop my perspiration (but not necessarily dew free) pier, an HEQ5Pro mount.

Between them they have over a dozen USB and ST4 ports but, someone forgot to label where all the things plug in😱

How should I link up the various bits of kit so that I can take a completely blind leap of faith in the direction of guiding?

Does the guide cam get plugged into the mount AND laptop? Does the guide cam get connected to the main camera?

Do I throw a few herbs, spices and assorted animal and creepy crawly bits into a cauldron, boil it up whilst dancing naked around the flames, chanting mysterious incantations before an ethereal glow envelops my kit and all is well?

Help!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Does the guide cam get plugged into the mount AND laptop?

This depends on how the mount is going to guided. Pulse guiding through PHD2/EQMod will eliminate the camera ST4 to mount ST4 connection (guide commands returned to the mount through EQMod). Select ST4 as the connection method in PHD2 and the connect camera ST4 to mount ST4 (guide commands returned to the mount's ST4 port via the camera's USB to laptop connection, then through ST4 cable.)

9 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Does the guide cam get connected to the main camera?

No.

9 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

How should I link up the various bits of kit so that I can take a completely blind leap of faith in the direction of guiding?

Only if you like the smell of fried electrical components in the morning. :D

• Like 1

If you do not have your mount connected to your laptop, it’s easier to connect the guide camera to the guide port (st4) of your mount and to your laptop (usb). But if you have your mount connected to your laptop, then forget st4 and connect only with usb. In phd you need different settings in your profile. Use the profile wizard to set up. Remember that if you use st4, you need to redo calibration each time you select a new target ( if declination is different). With the mount connected to your laptop (eqmod or pulse guiding) this is not necessary, as long as phd gets pointing information from your telescope software.

• Like 1

To connect the mount to the laptop you need an EQDIR cable - https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/EQMOD1.html Then connect the camera to the laptop via a suitable USB cable.  On your laptop install ASCOM platform, EQMOD and PHD2 plus the planetarium application of your choice, along with whatever imaging software that suits your main camera.  

• Like 1

Q: What is the Sony for?

Install ASCOM 6.5 sp1, EQASCOM, and the planetarium and capture programs of your choice. Plus PHD 2 if your capture program doesn't support guiding.

Connect the ASI 120 to one of the USB2 ports on the ASI294, then connect the ASI294 to your laptop with the shortest USB3 cable that will do the job. Connect your laptop to the mount with an EQDIR Cable.

• Like 1