Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perseids in the New Forest

Last night was a night of firsts for me... the first time I've gone stargazing to a dark sky, first time I have gone out to see a meteor shower, first time I have imaged the Milkyway and imaged meteors, and the first time I've not had a celestial event ruined by the weather!!!

This is also my first observing post.

So my fiance and I decided to go to the New Forest to see if we can see/image any meteors. I can't say I was optimistic with the weather, although it was clear where we live, when we started driving out I saw a huge wall of cloud on the horizon. I was in half a mind to say let's turn back and go home. I'm so glad we didn't!!!

We got to Bolderwood just before 10, clouds everywhere but decided to stay for at least to drink the flask of hot chocolate we brought. After some time a star showed an appearance through the cloud, then another, and another - the clouds were thinning. By 11pm it was pretty much totally clear, set up the star tracker and camera, got the chairs out and sat back and relaxed. 

We stayed until about 12, and in the space of that hour we saw about 20 meteors, one of which was a belter and lit up the sky (unfortunately that was just outside my camera view), and another overhead that left a huge trail. 

We can also see the Milkyway and I'm also sure I could just about make out Andromeda if I used averted vision.

So all in all we had a great night seeing the meteors and was surprisingly lucky with the weather for once!

Adam

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Sounds like an amazing night. 

It was! And so relaxing too.  I was ecstatic to see the meteors. Not that I've not seen them before, I used to see loads when I was younger and used to go fishing at the back of the Isle of Wight where it's pitch black.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam1234 said:

It was! And so relaxing too.  I was ecstatic to see the meteors. Not that I've not seen them before, I used to see loads when I was younger and used to go fishing at the back of the Isle of Wight where it's pitch black.

The simplest of things in life are the best. I've enjoyed every one I've seen and will always have the most amazing sight I've had in regards to meteors a few years back, engrained in my mind forever. 

• Like 1