Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 Pro dial

martinclayden

Simple question: I set 54 degrees on the dial on the side (the mount is on a level base), but measured the mount with an inclinometer set in the jaws at just over 50 degrees.

I'd hope for a bit more accurate than this

Is this inaccuracy common?

At best the dial is a guide.

You need to use an accurate method to polar align.

Sharpcap Pro works well, or a polemaster if you are imaging.

For visual it is far less critical unless you have a very long focal length.

Given the thickness of the pointer, and the markings it can only be taken as a guide.  Set close to what your latitude is, pointing the mount as close to North as can be determined the mount will give adequate performance for visual observing.  If you want more precision then polar alignment using one of many tools is required.

1 hour ago, woodblock said:

Can I just add. I find the RA and DEC setting circles on the HEQ5 totally useless. I wouldn't recommend using those either.

Yes, some say they are of use in setting the home position, but other than that, I agree

On 13/08/2021 at 14:23, woodblock said:

Can I just add. I find the RA and DEC setting circles on the HEQ5 totally useless. I wouldn't recommend using those either.

These days when we are using laptops, phones and other tech to tell us where we are pointing to, the dials that were bread and butter in the good old days are now there only to remind us of what their original purpose was :)

• Like 1