Dither - how is it triggered

I know what dither is but I'm not sure how it gets done. I use EQASCOM, APT and PHD2.

Have I got this right? Dithering is set up and initiated by APT which sends dither commands to EQASCOM. But PHD2 needs to know about the dither pulses and it gets that from EQASCOM

Cheers

Steve

As far as I remember - imaging app triggers dither once exposure is finished and it does so by issuing command to guiding application.

Guiding app is responsible for dither move - which is basically just long guide pulse in random direction. PHD2 is doing it usually once it is instructed by imaging app.

I can’t comment directly on APT but certainly for SGP and NINA if PHD2 and your mount are connected to the imaging control software and you request it to dither in between subs, then it happens. 
There are dithering parameters that can be adjusted in PHD2, but I’m not sure if these are overwritten by the imaging software, assuming they are also in that software.