Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Excellent short documentary on Jocelyn Bell Burnell

badhex

Great documentary. Outrageous that she was not recognised at the time for her incredible discovery - and terrible that there weren't others like Hoyle making noise and using their positions to correct the egregious and deliberate move by some to claim her work as their own.

At least it is fantastic that she can now be the role model for other women in science!

Edited by badhex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Excellent video , thanks for posting it up .  I knew about her experience at Glasgow University but still can't help feel real anger at that. To think that my daughters could ever face that type of discrimination makes me mad.  Thankfully those attitudes are changing but we still have a long way to go . 

https://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-research-shows-women-career-scientists-still-face-gender-bias

Jim 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And another deserved accolade for her now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58318024

The video was interesting because I recall seeing another interview with her a while back, where she downplayed the Nobel snub and pointed out that it wasn't uncommon for discoveries by junior researchers - male and female - to be credited to their supervisors. She is quoted here: "I believe it would demean Nobel Prizes if they were awarded to research students, except in very exceptional cases, and I do not believe this is one of them." My first thought was that she had previously been more reserved out of respect for Hewish, and that he had perhaps since died, but I see in Wikipedia that he's still going (aged 97).

• Like 1

Yes, I understand this is very common practice - it's shameful that on top of that is an extra dose of gender discrimination. Plus his whole bit about the "captain not being the same as the crew" or whatever is 🤬

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1