NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging tips for the Perseid meteor shower

Hello all. With the peak of the Perseid meteor shower happening Thursday night this week, what is everyones tips for imaging this event?

For me I was thinking of imaging using my 18mm lens on the star adventurer pro mount using my modified DSLR. Keeping the exposures to 30 seconds at iso 800. Pointing the camera in the direction of Perseus (centering on Miram perhaps?)

Edited by Chefgage

This is my attempt from last night.

Samyang 14mm on Canon 600 (modded).    I did 20 sec  non-tracking exposures iso 1600  , and racked up 400 separate exposures.  

Only 1 definite perseid in all them shots.

1348082715_Perseid20219thAugust2.thumb.jpg.c1cd88b361773cb0587674a6131cdd55.jpg

I am not really an expert to give advice, but I would  say be careful at centering Perseus in your FOV, although an 18mm may be wide enough.  A lot of brighter ones will not start at the radiant and you want to get  the full glory, so maybe keep Perseus to one side of your frame.....   but knowing sods law,  all the fireballs will be on the other side.

Another personal choice , I always like a land based reference point  in the frame, like a house or a tree.   It gives the event a connection with Earth and our human existence.

Have a few goes before Thursday night.

Good luck.

Sean

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Craney said:

This is my attempt from last night.

Samyang 14mm on Canon 600 (modded).    I did 20 sec  non-tracking exposures iso 1600  , and racked up 400 separate exposures.  

Only 1 definite perseid in all them shots.

1348082715_Perseid20219thAugust2.thumb.jpg.c1cd88b361773cb0587674a6131cdd55.jpg

I am not really an expert to give advice, but I would  say be careful at centering Perseus in your FOV, although an 18mm may be wide enough.  A lot of brighter ones will not start at the radiant and you want to get  the full glory, so maybe keep Perseus to one side of your frame.....   but knowing sods law,  all the fireballs will be on the other side.

Another personal choice , I always like a land based reference point  in the frame, like a house or a tree.   It gives the event a connection with Earth and our human existence.

Have a few goes before Thursday night.

Good luck.

Sean

Yes I like the idea of the foreground in the image. That is something I will do.