Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Ha from 24th July

Rob63

Some nice activity on the Sun this weekend, this 2 panel mosaic is the first processing I have done from around 500Gb of captured data !

120mm ED, UV/IR filter, Quark and ASI174MM => AutoStakkert, IMPPG, Photoshop

Mono

Sol-July24-Mono.thumb.png.3e78c549556bbeac40de1252a4e47266.png

False RGB

Sol-July24.thumb.png.bf9cf99615a0bbfa5209e00848a31019.png

Update: another one from Saturday closer to the limb

2021-07-24-1329_0-Ha56587-imppg-mono.thumb.png.91313cc32d5846e8f7f6341c30a67937.png

Edited by Rob63
Added new image
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Some lovely, fine detail there Rob.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, the seeing is not usually good enough here for me to use the 120mm but this weekend it was pretty good.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TakMan said:

Love the detail and tonality in that latest image.

Thanks, I always prefer mono for Solar Ha but I seem to be in a minority unfortunately. Probably comes from decades of B&W film photography.

Edited by Rob63
spelling
  • Like 2

On 26/07/2021 at 17:42, Rob63 said:

Thanks, the seeing is not usually good enough here for me to use the 120mm but this weekend it was pretty good.

120mm should not be pushing the seeing limits if you image early in the morning or late afternoon.
Each location has its best moments but these times are usually recommended.

If you do have a choice [most don't] you can improve your imaging location to avoid heat tremors.
They say imaging over water with an onshore breeze is good. Failing that, lots of fields help.
Imaging over bare earth, concrete, roofs and tarmac [asphalt] are often poor choices for the imager.

If it won't move then slap on some white paint. Avoid bare metals!
Non-white GRP rockets in temperature. 50C+! Drape stuff in white or shade it before it gets hot?
White, lightweight tarpaulins seem to avoid heating up. Foil-faced insulation soars in surface temperature!

Foliage is [literally] cool to the touch. Probably thanks to transpiration. Find some? Find lots more? :wink2:
Getting above ground currents can also be helpful  but is rarely possible for the average amateur.

13 hours ago, Rob63 said:

Thanks, I always prefer mono for Solar Ha but I seem to be in a minority unfortunately. Probably comes from decades of B&W film photography.

You are not alone. Many imagers prefer the purity and accessibility of fine detail in a B&W image.
It was all and only B&W in my youth. As far as I am concerned the Moon Landing never happened [in colour.] :wink2:

• Like 1