NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small scopes are underrated

I know aperture aperture aperture is better for the pure visual experience, but when you can't bring yourself to use it, is it really worth it? Something small you can just throw in a bag, go hiking with, or simply bring from a room to your balcony and back easily, something that doesnt require time to cool down is very nice indeed. No hate for the light buckets though, they give us the "wow" factor, small scopes bring the "aww" factor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

I know aperture aperture aperture is better for the pure visual experience, but when you can't bring yourself to use it, is it really worth it? Something small you can just throw in a bag, go hiking with, or simply bring from a room to your balcony and back easily, something that doesnt require time to cool down is very nice indeed. No hate for the light buckets though, they give us the "wow" factor, small scopes bring the "aww" factor

Well I wouldn't throw any of my scopes in a bag, no matter how small.😂 But I get your point. A good pair of bins are better than a huge Dobsonian if they get more use.

Oddly enough the way scopes work means that a 100 inch Dob would get no more light into your eyeball than a 2 inch refractor and certainly less in both cases than no scope at all. What does change is the scale of the image you view.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

14 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Oddly enough the way scopes work means that a 100 inch Dob would get no more light into your eyeball than a 2 inch refractor and certainly less in both cases than no scope at all. What does change is the scale of the image you view.

Alan

Really? Huh, thats odd to think about, guess it makes sense, they don't really make stuff brighter, just allow more magnification at a given brightness

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

Really? Huh, thats odd to think about, guess it makes sense, they don't really make stuff brighter, just allow more magnification at a given brightness

They do make point source objects brighter but not extended objects..the limit is the 6 mm or so of your iris.

The good news is that at a realy dark site you can have the WOW factor with the naked eye, small scope or binoculars or a large scope with each option showing its own unique view.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

As is always the case you match the tool to the task and local conditions (restrictions).  If all you have access to is a balcony or your task is grab and go then a 16 inch  dob is the wrong tool it goes without saying really.  If access  and setup are not restrictive, you have good sky views and quality dark skies then a 16 inch dob will certainly excel.  Don't look to use a hammer to torque down a nut; rather carry both in your tool bag. :)

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Like 1