Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One hour Veil with tilt?

On 03/10/2021 at 17:46, symmetal said:

Tilt means the camera sensor is not square on to optical axis of the scope, and so all the edges of the image can't be in focus at the same time with one focuser position. The larger the sensor the more critical eliminating tilt becomes. For smaller sensors it may not be an issue. This topic shows a simple method of indicating any tilt, much easier than the trial and error method analysing star images. If the camera doesn't have  tilt adjustment screws on the front plate of the camera, to alter the angle of the camera to the optical axis, then an external tilt adjuster can be inserted in the imaging train to do the same thing. If buying one make sure you get one with the right side threads to match your setup.

Your 183 doesn't have built in tilt adjustment so either an M48 to M48 tilt aduster to fit on the rear of the Redcat, along with the M48 to M42 adapter supplied with the ZWO camera to fit it to the camera, or a M48 to M42 tilt adjuster where it can fit directly to the camera. With the Redcat a specified distance is required between the scope and camera to enable infinity focus to be reached so I would use an M48 to M48 tilt adjuster and M48 spacers as required reducing to M42 at the camera. If you need one and can afford it, the Gerd Neumann M48 tilt adjuster is worth getting as it's much easier to adjust when fitted in the imaging train, than the cheaper push/pull types.

Alan

Thanks for the reply, pretty miffed I've bought a new camera and it's not 100% lol... either way the updated redcats come with a tilt adjuster and I got someone to put one of my raw frames through a program to identify where the tilt is.  It's just finding the time to do it and do it correct when imaging nights are percious!