Collimation woes

On 24/07/2021 at 13:45, alacant said:

To make life even easier, understandable and to reinforce Seronik's simplicity, preface with Telia's plain English collimation myths.

that’s a good read- thanks Alacant.

I don’t know if this is a good method for alignment of the secondary to the focuser for optimal field illumination for ap but ive been struggling with vignetting and had tried a concentre (couldn’t focus the rings and the secondary at same time- should have bought the longer one for my old eyes) and using an asi120 with its fisheye lens and the french circle overlay app thingy but always the hotspot in a stretched flat field frame was not in the centre of frame. So I adjusted it just using the flat frames- adjusting the secondary height and rotation  and then recollimating using laser and barlowed laser until the stretched vignetted hotspot was close to perfectly central in the captured frame. Long slow process but hopefully it’ll help.

Mark

2 hours ago, Spile said:

off-line

JTOL...

Would it perhaps be possible instead to simply start a new thread and continue the discussion therein? Maybe include a link back here or a summary with any conclusions and clarifications?

That way, we may all benefit. 

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1