NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

JULY 17TH - NOT A GOOD DAY FOR TESTING A SOLAR SCOPE !

paulastro

• paulastro changed the title to JULY 17TH - NOT A GOOD DAY FOR TESTING A SOLAR SCOPE !

As the day gets warmer the seeing is only going to worsen. I was up early doors and there was a large prom in the North West and a new active region AR 12844 in South East right near the edge of the limb. I first thought it was a dust mote until I got a closer view☺️

• Like 1

It's one of those  'Laws' ... but hold fast, bide your time,  refine your technique with focus, tracking and the like, because.....

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2021/07/16/farside-explosion-touches-earth/

There is something hurling out CME's  on the Solar far side.....  I'm no Solar boffin, but that could present itself as nice proms and edge detail in a few days time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hughsie said:

As the day gets warmer the seeing is only going to worsen. I was up early doors and there was a large prom in the North West and a new active region AR 12844 in South East right near the edge of the limb. I first thought it was a dust mote until I got a closer view☺️

Hughsie, I was out from 7.15 to 7.35am in total. Were you observing before me?  I always observe in the early morning or late afternoon myself, if its clear at these times, because of the generally better seeing.

The small AR you mentioned nr the SE limb is probably the one on my sketch.  It looks due S on my sketch because the orientation of my sketches is not adjusted to the changing altitude of the sun as it changes from sunrise to sunset.

Edited by paulastro

15 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Hughsie, I was out from 7.15 to 7.35am in total. Were you observing before me?  I always observe in the early morning or late afternoon myself, if its clear at these times, because of the generally better seeing.

The small AR you mentioned nr the SE limb is probably the one on my sketch.  It looks due S on my sketch because the orientation of my sketches is not adjusted to the changing altitude of the sun as it changes from sunrise to sunset.

Here is the prom I was referring to. Admittedly I was imaging so if you were visually observing you could have missed it. This was taken at 6 39 UT so 7 39 am BST.

06_39_30Z_lapl4_ap4086.png