Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun spots 16 July 2021

Oldfort

Not an exciting day, and I'm at the beginning of the processing journey, but here is an image from this morning (UK time). TV76, Lunt 1.25" wedge, TV powermate 2.5x, and EOS m at the other end.

The bigger spot is AR2842 and the one near the limb is AR2843.  I think this is upside down, but not mirror reversed.

Any tips on how to get more out of the image would be welcome.

IMG_2670p2.jpg

Edited by Oldfort
  • Like 8

Hi Oldfort (that is not your real name, is it?),

it looks like a single image am I correct (so not a stack)? Today seeing was not particularly great here across the pond in the Netherlands (Castricum, 340km from RMG as the crow flies). I took this image (with apologies for posting an image on your thread) at 09:46GMT with a SkyWatcher Esprit 150ED and ZWO ASI1600MM Pro Cool using a Baader ND5.0 foil filter.

Sun210716_0946UTC.thumb.jpg.3463ca1353fdf5b3527d9d6801f0af5d.jpg

This is a 10 frames stack (false colour), but hardly any better than your image. Seeing was that poor that the limb looked like it was made of rubber, like what I see in your image. So best is to repeat at a day with better seeing.

Nicolàs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good job! :thumbsup:

A nice, crisp, clean image. There is surface mottling without a hint of unwanted sharpening.
Some details of your capture method and processing would be helpful.

But, going by the position of the central spot I'd say you were both inverted and horizontally flipped.
I was armed with Spaceweather.com's image: 
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

So I did this to your original image using simple, free, image handling software: PhotoFiltre7:
Flipped horizontally and vertically. A slight touch of Histogram to darken it slightly and emphasise limb darkening.

Whether this is is an improvement on your original is entirely a matter of taste.
Enlarging your image shows clear umbra and penumbra on 2842. Press CTRL + Scroll your mouse wheel forwards.

IMG_2670p2.thumb.jpg.be579679f42e5ba30054380044458b47 flipped.jpg

• Like 2

Rusted, Thanks.

I took this using an altaz mount, Lunt wedge and TV76.  I think I did a mirror flip in processing, so probably just need rotation to get the right orientation.

The image processing side of things is largely a mystery to me at the moment.

• Like 1