Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To double check mount capabilities

Rustang

I have raised interest with Carol in regards to the sale of her Esprit 100, I have seen others using this scope on a HEQ5 pro mount but just wanted to check that along with my QHY 9 Mono CCD camera, 7 position filter wheel, Altair 60mm guide scope and ASI120 guide camera that its not going to be to much of a stretch for my mount!? while I'm considering a mount upgrade down the line, its not necessity something I want to do right now.

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

On paper, the Esprit 100 is 6.3kg and the HEQ5 is rated at 11kg for imaging, so you've got 4.7kg to play with. ;) 

How did Carol get on with it on the HEQ5 in her advert photo?

We have had a chat through PM and can't decide if it's going to be on its limit. It has been fine for her but I've got added weight I think which is mostly the Altair 60mm guide scope, I'm going to weigh my camera and filter wheel etc shortly and go from there. I couldn't find confirmation on the weight of the Esprit if it includes the rings and dovetail!? 

Edited by Rustang

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

I think it will be more than fine.

I'm happily using Heq5 for imaging with ~12Kg on it and it performs very well (it is belt modded and tuned mount though).

Just a thought, does the mount weight capabilities include the counter weights because if I need both 5kg counter weights to balance the Esprit that's a total of 19.1 kg!? 

10 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Just a thought, does the mount weight capabilities include the counter weights because if I need both 5kg counter weights to balance the Esprit that's a total of 19.1 kg!? 

No, listed weight means just scope and other bits - no counter weights. CWs are not counted towards total.

You can put approximately 15Kg and get decent results from HEQ5 - but you'll need 3 x 5Kg counter weights.

For example - 8" F/6 ota from Skywatcher DOB + 60mm guide scope from TS balanced by x2 white and one black 5Kg counter weight :D:

image.png.df2f549cb34c83cf59cc6b15256cb810.png

Or, in another words, yes Heq5 is capable of carrying 100mm class refractor and 8" guide scope weighing at about 8.5Kg balanced with only 2x5Kg:

image.png.9a28c620051d732ce619345eaaf82715.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

No, listed weight means just scope and other bits - no counter weights. CWs are not counted towards total.

You can put approximately 15Kg and get decent results from HEQ5 - but you'll need 3 x 5Kg counter weights.

For example - 8" F/6 ota from Skywatcher DOB + 60mm guide scope from TS balanced by x2 white and one black 5Kg counter weight :D:

image.png.df2f549cb34c83cf59cc6b15256cb810.png

Or, in another words, yes Heq5 is capable of carrying 100mm class refractor and 8" guide scope weighing at about 8.5Kg balanced with only 2x5Kg:

image.png.9a28c620051d732ce619345eaaf82715.png

Ok cool, I didn't think it took into account the counter weights but I've never been 100 % sure. I appreciate the advice as always 👍