Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Length of dovetail on Tak Epsilon?

Does anyone know the length of the standard dovetail that is needed to be be used with the standard rings for the Epsilon.  Even the 160 would measurements would do ok.

Mine has different rings and a much longer dovetail, and I cant rotate the tube as result as it hits parts of the OTA, so want to shorten the space between the rings.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

image.png.b41c4e41ec89e7b1cad5ea20d3a88492.png

Cheers

Adam.

I'd have thought it would be up to you to decide. The only issue is the stability of the scope. I'd find out how close the rings have to be to avoid the rotation problem you have at the moment and keep them as far apart as possible within that limit.

When drilling the dovetail to reposition one of the rings (maybe no need to reposition both?) I'd want to be fairly accurate so I'd mark up the centre line of the dovetail, centre pop the point of the hole, and drill using a sequence of three bit sizes on a pillar drill. This will keep cone error to a minimum but cone error is rarely much of an issue anyway. Alignment software allows for it.

Olly

• Like 1

I don't have an answer as I used a Stellamira dovetail and a custom piece of aluminum.

This might help- https://teleskop-austria.at/TKA68420S_Rohrschellen-fur-Epsilon-180-Durchmesser-232mm-mit 

https://teleskop-austria.at/LosTak100_Losmandy-Prismenschiene-fur-Takahashi-Rohrschellen-mit

Edited by Allinthehead
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I'd have thought it would be up to you to decide. The only issue is the stability of the scope. I'd find out how close the rings have to be to avoid the rotation problem you have at the moment and keep them as far apart as possible within that limit.

When drilling the dovetail to reposition one of the rings (maybe no need to reposition both?) I'd want to be fairly accurate so I'd mark up the centre line of the dovetail, centre pop the point of the hole, and drill using a sequence of three bit sizes on a pillar drill. This will keep cone error to a minimum but cone error is rarely much of an issue anyway. Alignment software allows for it.

Olly

Cheers Olly, my logic was to copy Tak - they have likely good reason for their spacing and figured that it must be stable enough!  The smallest Losmandy dovetails I've seen at 180mm.

47 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Richard, couldnt find that data myself, looks to be 100mm.

• Like 1