NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6946 - Fireworks Galaxy Mono (Red)

Rodd

i finally got a couple hours of clear sky.  Seeing was very good, but high clouds and fog moved in to end the session after 2.5 hours.  I had not intended to post a mono image using the red stack, but it is supposed to rain for a week, then I will be away for 2 weeks, then the Moon will dominate for at least a week--so who knows when I will be able to continue work on this image.  The mean FWHM of the unprocessed stack is 1.55, even though I went with 30 sec subs instead of 20 sec.  Maybe I could get away with 60 sec subs.   I software binned the data because with only a couple of hours of data collected with a not so great transparency, I really needed help with the SNR.  Even with the bin, the outer extensions that make this target so interesting are really not quite there yet.  I hope to complete this image as an HARGB and really hope that seeing remains as steady.

C11Edge unguided with ASI 1600: Red 313 30 sec

a.thumb.jpg.1062d2e9972c96e21f088354f7e4a2e7.jpg

• Like 12

i was planning to do the same object last night, but the Taiwan haze came.

ime using a simple zwoasi290 uncooled for my imaging with an f4 8" scope, it will be interesting to compare the result when i do it.

i love mono galaxy images,this one in particular , it reminds me of the outer limits series from the 50s.

13 hours ago, Bill Phenix said:

i was planning to do the same object last night, but the Taiwan haze came.

ime using a simple zwoasi290 uncooled for my imaging with an f4 8" scope, it will be interesting to compare the result when i do it.

i love mono galaxy images,this one in particular , it reminds me of the outer limits series from the 50s.

Looking forward to seeing it.  You should pick up more signal, sky willing

9 minutes ago, Bill Phenix said:

Past a certain number of exposures,there is simply no point.

Not true when dealing with cmos and short exposures.  It’s the total integration time that matters.  This is 2.5 hours.  Not that much time, especially for a mono stand alone image in my sky.  I tend to need allot of data. 

deepskystacker , Robin Glover and my experience would tend to dissagree with you. You can stack more with lower temperatures than with higher ones,but  you cant get past the sky brightness itself ,so you get to the point where stacking more and more makes no difference at all.

9 hours ago, Bill Phenix said:

deepskystacker , Robin Glover and my experience would tend to dissagree with you. You can stack more with lower temperatures than with higher ones,but  you cant get past the sky brightness itself ,so you get to the point where stacking more and more makes no difference at all.

Well I am not there yet.  Not by a long shot.  5-6 hours is about as good as it gets for me

On 06/07/2021 at 22:45, Bill Phenix said:

just out of interest, what Bortle class are you under? Also, have you ever ran that 1600mm uncooled to see the difference?

I am in bortle 6.  I forgot to turn the cooling on once and there were hot pixels. Not as many as with the KAF 8300 though

35 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

It is a nice start. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the image when you finally get a chance to collect the other filters. Trying to image under North Wales skies, I feel your pain!

It’s terrible.  It has been raining for 3 weeks.  

• Sad 1