NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IR/UV cut filter recommendation please

Hi,

I want to buy just a simple filter which is IR/UV cut filter to be used with my OSC cooled, but there are like hundred of options, can you recommend something or all of them are the same even the cheapest one?

I will buy at 2" size, so i hope not go with the most expensive one for no much gain but only brand name most likely.

I opted for the Astronomik L2 and L3 filters (1.25"). The L2 is mounted right on the 'nose' of my ASI294MC - inside the 11mm spacer ring. The L3 I use with my Astronomik NB filters with my ASI1600MM. It is used primarily as a focussing and plate solving filter and for sometimes taking Luminance; being all the same make they are all parafocal with the exception of the OIII which has a very slightly different focus position. Both the L2 and L3 really tighten up the stars.

On 22/06/2021 at 19:27, Jamgood said:

I have the SVBony IR/UV Cut filter. Cheap and cheerful and works well with my ASI294MC Pro. Amazon Link

I was going to go for the ZWO 2" IR/UV Cut but I thought I'd give the SVBony a try as some of their stuff is quite good and gets pretty decent reviews.

Like you say though, lots to choose from.

Nice, i will give it a look, thank you very much

On 22/06/2021 at 19:42, Adreneline said:

I opted for the Astronomik L2 and L3 filters (1.25"). The L2 is mounted right on the 'nose' of my ASI294MC - inside the 11mm spacer ring. The L3 I use with my Astronomik NB filters with my ASI1600MM. It is used primarily as a focussing and plate solving filter and for sometimes taking Luminance; being all the same make they are all parafocal with the exception of the OIII which has a very slightly different focus position. Both the L2 and L3 really tighten up the stars.

I keep coming a lot back and forth to those two filters, L2 and L3, and i keep thinking about which one to get, i do have good scopes that doesn't give halo or bad CA, but i definitely use flattener/corrector or reducer, and i don't have Astronomik NB or even RGB filters set, so it is not a must for me then.

• Like 1