Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Having trouble connecting to my mount with ASCOM

Ok, I have a new laptop and have installed ASCOM platform or EQMOD or whatever it's called and the drivers for my mount (EQ6R Pro), but when I connect up it can't see the mount.

I am using exactly the same cable as I used to use on my old laptop (so it's not the cable).

Device manager is showing it using COM4 so that's working.

When I open EQMOD Toolbox I see this

toolbox.JPG

So I click on Driver Setup and select COM4setup.JPG

but when I then click ASCOM Connect, it pops up with this!

error.JPG

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by StuartT

15 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

Sometimes there is issues with the Baud rate, have you tried setting it to 115200? You need to enter that in EQMOD and also update it to the same in device manager-> port settings.

FANTASTIC!! That was it! 

Thank you 😃

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CloudMagnet said:

No problem, seems to be a coin flip which setting that EQMOD needs, its either 9600 or 115200 -good to know its working for you :)

yes. As a new boy, I'm discovering that the technology side of this hobby can be somewhat twitchy. But once you've pandered to its fussy requirements it seems happy enough...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StuartT said:

yes. As a new boy, I'm discovering that the technology side of this hobby can be somewhat twitchy. But once you've pandered to its fussy requirements it seems happy enough...

ahh yes all part of the fun, it was good timing for your question. I spent the last few days researching the mount as I have just put in an order for the EQ6-R, one of the issues that kept coming up was the Baud rate so seems to be common.

Looking forward to having all these "twitchy" moments myself in a few weeks when it arrives. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CloudMagnet said:

ahh yes all part of the fun, it was good timing for your question. I spent the last few days researching the mount as I have just put in an order for the EQ6-R, one of the issues that kept coming up was the Baud rate so seems to be common.

Looking forward to having all these "twitchy" moments myself in a few weeks when it arrives. :D

Ok, when it does arrive, maybe it will be my turn to help you then! I have got it pretty much figured out now, I think. Setting up, polar aligning, plate solving. So just give me a shout!

Edited by StuartT
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StuartT said:

Ok, when it does arrive, maybe it will be my turn to help you then! I have got it pretty much figured out now, I think. Setting up, polar aligning, plate solving. So just give me a shout!

Appreciate the offer! Hoping it arrives in around mid July- just in time for darkness to return.

My plan is to go down the platesolving route with no hand controller, just laptop and EQDIR cable. Seems to be the best setup for speed :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CloudMagnet said:

Appreciate the offer! Hoping it arrives in around mid July- just in time for darkness to return.

My plan is to go down the platesolving route with no hand controller, just laptop and EQDIR cable. Seems to be the best setup for speed :)

Yes, I have been using APT plus the platesolving plug-ins (as described in this magnificent thread) and it works like magic! No hand controller for me any more, or worrying about whether one of the alignment stars will be behind my neighbour's house! 🤣

I'm also awaiting an exciting delivery in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) - Esprit 150ED 😃

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Yes, I have been using APT plus the platesolving plug-ins (as described in this magnificent thread) and it works like magic! No hand controller for me any more, or worrying about whether one of the alignment stars will be behind my neighbour's house! 🤣

I'm also awaiting an exciting delivery in the next few weeks (fingers crossed) - Esprit 150ED 😃

Yep, that thread is fantastic, will be making good use of that. APT/Stellerium/EQMOD should be a match made in heaven. Until I press start of course :)

Thats a monster scope as well, good luck- you definetly will need an EQ6 to manage the weight!

• Like 1

BTW, does anyone know why EQMOD/EQUASCOM apps can't be closed by clicking the normal X in the top right corner? I always have to open the Windows task manager and 'End Task' (which always feels bad)

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Dinglem said:

@StuartTit always closes down for me when I either tell the software using it to disconnect or when I close all Apps using it. So you probably still have an app running it in the background.

ah. ok. Maybe it's only when I run the ASCOM toolbox on its own then (without APT). Thanks

4 minutes ago, StuartT said:

BTW, does anyone know why EQMOD/EQUASCOM apps can't be closed by clicking the normal X in the top right corner? I always have to open the Windows task manager and 'End Task' (which always feels bad)

Thanks

It stays open until all apps linked to it (in my case APT and CdC) are closed. There should be a 'kill eqascom' shortcut in the start menu folder for eqascom that you can use instead of task manager... 

• Thanks 1

Just now, adyj1 said:

There should be a 'kill eqascom' shortcut in the start menu folder for eqascom that you can use instead of task manager... 

Well well well! So there is! Fancy.

🙂