Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Astro cameras

I’m toying with getting a 533mc now the Altair brand which I’m assuming is the toupek /Rising cam brand is £100 cheaper than zwo version  and I’ve never really read anything negative about that brand , if you have an Altair brand camera how do you find it , build wise or software compared to a zwo , if you have had problems how did you find getting it sorted.

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-hypercam-533c-colour-camera-9239-p.asp

Edited by bottletopburly

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

I’m toying with getting a 533mc now the Altair brand which I’m assuming is the toupek /Rising cam brand is £100 cheaper than zwo version  and I’ve never really read anything negative about that brand , if you have an Altair brand camera how do you find it , build wise or software compared to a zwo , if you have had problems how did you find getting it sorted.

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-hypercam-533c-colour-camera-9239-p.asp

They are worlds apart, you are correct they are a Chinese re brand of the Touptek brand, it’s the driver and electronics that is not so good IMHO, and when there are issues with the driver, Altair then have to contact the Chinese manufacturer and then wait for updated SDK and then wait for them to sort the issue, I have found this tedious in the past, and for the sake of £100 I would buy ZWO every time…..

I think where Astro cameras are concerned as with lots of other things, you buy cheap you buy twice….like I said purely my opinion, but I would never buy another AA camera…HTH

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

They are worlds apart, you are correct they are a Chinese re brand of the Touptek brand, it’s the driver and electronics that is not so good IMHO, and when there are issues with the driver, Altair then have to contact the Chinese manufacturer and then wait for updated SDK and then wait for them to sort the issue, I have found this tedious in the past, and for the sake of £100 I would buy ZWO every time…..

I think where Astro cameras are concerned as with lots of other things, you buy cheap you buy twice….like I said purely my opinion, but I would never buy another AA camera…HTH

Thanks that’s really helpful to know.

• Like 1