Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blackening a maksutov

Robindonne

I recently bought a used telescope that showed a bit too much signs of use.  Not on the optical parts, just the tube, front and back elements.  No scratches but missing parts of the paint.  So i took it apart completely to have it powdercoated.  The one thing im not sure about is the inside of the tube.  It has a black/grey coating which is quite in good shape and which i didnt plan to replace or cover with something else.  But ended up having the complete telescope disassembled, i maybe spend some time on the inside.  

Would it be safe to flock with fabric? Not sure if it soak moisture more than in an open tube design.  Or add a baffle and leave the original coating?

5 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I recently bought a used telescope that showed a bit too much signs of use.  Not on the optical parts, just the tube, front and back elements.  No scratches but missing parts of the paint.  So i took it apart completely to have it powdercoated.  The one thing im not sure about is the inside of the tube.  It has a black/grey coating which is quite in good shape and which i didnt plan to replace or cover with something else.  But ended up having the complete telescope disassembled, i maybe spend some time on the inside.  

Would it be safe to flock with fabric? Not sure if it soak moisture more than in an open tube design.  Or add a baffle and leave the original coating?

The most benefit will come from flocking the inside of the baffle tube. See: 

With the scope apart, it'll be easier to flock the baffle tube. I wrapped the small piece of flocking material (adhesive facing outwards) around a pencil, so it was narrow enough to fit inside, then pressed the pencil out and rotated it against the inside of the tube so that it stuck and unwrapped from the pencil, onto the inside of the tube.

Made a big difference in getting rid of these bright circular reflections that would appear as a bright star approached the field stop.

• Thanks 1

Okay. So you mean using that black fabric?  And with baffle tube you mean a tube that already has baffles installed? Because mine is completely straight. Not a single baffle to see.  Or is baffle tube just another name for the tube?

Edited by Robindonne

I used to have an OMC200, it had a baffle in the middle of the primary and another baffle surrounding the secondary.

It had no circular baffles around the OTA tube wall.

The primary baffle is very long so the scope does not need flocking at all.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I used to have an OMC200, it had a baffle in the middle of the primary and another baffle surrounding the secondary.

It had no circular baffles around the OTA tube wall.

The primary baffle is very long so the scope does not need flocking at all.

Hope that helps.

Ah ok. Indeed it has both like you described.  Didnt know they were called also baffles. Yes thats very helpful info.  Thx

OK - didn't realise it was an OOUK! 

In a more common-or-garden style Mak, the baffle tube is the thin tube that passes through the primary mirror to the visual back:

image.png.53bb6441f9c76fbdcb6492bb28887014.png

It's can be very shiny on the inside.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Your welcome.

If you can store it in a cool place it will be a big advantage.

Even with the fans they are difficult to cool down during the evening.

I will thanks.  Havent used it yet.  As long as its ready coming months its fine by me.  I will store it outside like you said and hope to be amazed.  

Edited by Robindonne

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

OK - didn't realise it was an OOUK! 

In a more common-or-garden style Mak, the baffle tube is the thin tube that passes through the primary mirror to the visual back:

image.png.53bb6441f9c76fbdcb6492bb28887014.png

It's can be very shiny on the inside.

Ah yes i didnt know its name.  But that part looks kind of matte black already.  I might just leave it like it is.  Thanks for the lesson about this part🙏🏼