Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PointCraft issues "Slew" command but scope does not move.

Tom62e

Hi.

I have tried for three weekends in a row to solve this issue. PointCraft will not slew to a Goto++ target after syncing with a platesolved image. It says it's slewing (so I assume the command is issued) but the scope does not move at all.  It's as if the clutches weren't engaged except they are.

Other times, it will issue the slew command, and the scope will move, but nowhere near the correct location of the object selected.

Thoughts?

I'm using a EQ6-R Pro with a ASI120MM-S guide camera and a ASI294MC-Pro main imaging camera.  PHD2 for tracking.  I control the mount via ASCOM through the USB port on the Hand Controller (I do not use the guide port).  USBs are run through the Pegasus Powered-USB port to my LapTop running Windows 10.

I assume this is APT?

I'm with the Dr. Above. Use the appropriate EQDirect cable between PC and mount. If you are plate solving etc, no need for the handset.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

I was never able to get it to work direct to the mount.  The salesperson at Skywatcher told me it required additional software so I never bothered. 

I'm using Astrophotography Tool (APT) to drive the mount.

You must be using some form of interface adaptor between your PC & the hand controller ??  if so, have you set the hand controller into 'Direct PC mode' ?  

And you should be able to connect the device you have connected to the handset, direct to the mount, into the same port the the hand controller plugs into....  & the salesperson is an an idiot, any additional software is freely available....

• Like 1

The cable has active components and requires a driver which windows usually finds for you.

Also EQMod is required but that's just a bolt-on to ASCOM. Plug and play.

Honestly, I installed APT early last year and have never used the handset since that day!

Yes, EQMod was the additional software he was referring to.  I'll see if downloading that and connecting my mount directly to the PC with a USB cable (as opposed to connecting through the HC with a USB cable) and see if that solves the issue.  It's just weird that sometimes it moves the mount (albeit in the wrong direction) and sometimes it doesn't.

42 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You must be using some form of interface adaptor between your PC & the hand controller ??  if so, have you set the hand controller into 'Direct PC mode' ?  

And you should be able to connect the device you have connected to the handset, direct to the mount, into the same port the the hand controller plugs into....  & the salesperson is an an idiot, any additional software is freely available....

I connect the HC to my PC with a regular USB printer cable (USB A to USB B cable).  I do not know if the HC is in "Direct PC Mode".  Honestly never knew such a mode existed.  I certainly don't remember reading about it in the manual but I'll look again. 

Regular printer cables won't work, you need to have a USB to 'Serial' adapter, as Paul linked to above, which when you have one, can connect to either the handset or directly to the mount (using the port that the hand controller plugs into...)

• Like 1

The serial port was for the older models, no?  I have the newer model with the USB port in the HC and also on the mount itself (the port on the mount is the one that required EQMod, while the port on the HC does not - according to the idiot salesperson, lol).  Souldn't I be able to use one of them instead of the antiquated serial port?EQ6-R.jpg.b991708a5d38b5338e3bb900d4bd6f8e.jpg

I would hope that SkyWatcher would provide a driver, that when you connect the PC USB port to the USB-A port on the mount, the mount would then be correctly recognised by the PC, but I'm afraid I can't find one....

So personally, I'd but a USB to serial adapter, and take it from there....

Hey guys - I just followed the video and I am now connected directly from the Mount's USB port directly to PC via EQMod - and Pointcraft seems to be working perfectly now.  But I won't know for sure until tonight (to verify it's actually moving to the correct location).  Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1