NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

FLO Checked & Tuned service for APOs

Hi everyone

When buying the Esprit line of APOs, my understanding is that FLO gets them all checked by Es Reid?

Is the APO then shipped with a test certificate?

Many thanks

Ossi

you don't get a certificate (as such). The receipt shows you paid for the test. If the scope passes it gets shipped. No remedial work is done on the scope.

It gives peace of mind that there are no issues with the scope.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

you don't get a certificate (as such). The receipt shows you paid for the test. If the scope passes it gets shipped. No remedial work is done on the scope.

It gives peace of mind that there are no issues with the scope.

Many thanks..

Who is Es Reid by the way?

50 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Respected UK lens designer. FLO get Es to check and adjust, if necessary, collimation of the Esprit scopes before shipping to customers.

Thanks David. Good to know.

BTW, I noticed in your sig you have a CEM25P. Would that mount carry an Esprit100ED well for AP?

Thanks

Ossi

48 minutes ago, oymd said:

Thanks David. Good to know.

BTW, I noticed in your sig you have a CEM25P. Would that mount carry an Esprit100ED well for AP?

Thanks

Ossi

Not quite sure. I did have an Altair 102mm doublet before. Probably a bit lighter but longer than the Esprit. I think it all weighed in at 8kg fully loaded and it managed fine. Its a good little mount that punches above its weight but needs a bit of tlc to get the best of it. The 80mm f7 doublet I use now is probably better suited to it.

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Not quite sure. I did have an Altair 102mm doublet before. Probably a bit lighter but longer than the Esprit. I think it all weighed in at 8kg fully loaded and it managed fine. Its a good little mount that punches above its weight but needs a bit of tlc to get the best of it. The 80mm f7 doublet I use now is probably better suited to it.

I've just weighed the Esprit with rings and dovetail, and it came to exactly 6kgms. Since my setup is OSC (no filter wheel etc), I'd say that the 294MC Pro, + extensions and Guidescope with 120MMmini would all come to 7kgms. I might even go with an OAG instead of guidescope to keep weight down.

Should be ok? No?

Just now, david_taurus83 said:

Do you already have the mount? They have been discontinued now and the latest version is the CEM26.

I had the mount and absolutely loved it. My better half forced me to sell it when I got the AZ-EQ6 Pro recently to carry my C11...

😔

I have an opportunity to but a used CEM25P for a good price, and I'm very keen to pull the trigger. Will be a good fit for my Altair 70EQD-R, but not sure about the Esprit 100ED.

Whilst the AZ-EQ6 is an excellent mount, I HATE the time it takes to carry it out, set it up etc...

I remember when I had the CEM25P I would get setup in under 5 minutes! and it was dead quiet, and I loved the handset and interface. I enjoyed using it compared to the AZ-EQ6. I very much regret letting it go...

Funnily enough I had an AZEQ6 and sold it to downsize! And I regret that to this day! I will be moving house soon and looking for a more permanent setup on a pier and I had considered going for an AZEQ6 again. The CEM25 is good but it's very sensitive to balance and dangling cables and wind. Perfect for the 70 EDQR (which I also owned!) buy I think if I had an Esprit, I'd want the assurance of something a bit more sturdier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Funnily enough I had an AZEQ6 and sold it to downsize! And I regret that to this day! I will be moving house soon and looking for a more permanent setup on a pier and I had considered going for an AZEQ6 again. The CEM25 is good but it's very sensitive to balance and dangling cables and wind. Perfect for the 70 EDQR (which I also owned!) buy I think if I had an Esprit, I'd want the assurance of something a bit more sturdier.

That's a funny coincidence!

My current setup is what you used to own and moved on!!

Well, I am keeping the AZ-EQ6 for the C11 and the Esprit, but I am seriously considering the CEM25 for a quick grab n go setup for the smaller refractors. I am very reluctant to buy the CEM26 at £1000+, as that is a very inflated price for such a low payload capacity mount. The current  COVID situation has pushed up the prices to ridiculous levels. £700 would e a fair price for that mount.

Frankly, when I come to think about it, the ease and speed of setup has become a much more important factor to me, especially with our CRAP weather.

If I had an obs and permanent setup, that would be an entirely different matter.

Edited by oymd