Jupiter and Europa

Kon

I was up at 3am to have a look at Jupiter and Saturn. Seeing was terrible for the first 30min or so.  I started with Saturn and it was a great sight as my first seeing. A grey banding was apparent but no much details on the disk. I then moved to Jupiter; it did not look sharp at all but orange/brown banding was apparent; the other night I could make the Great Red spot. and I noticed it's 3 moons and a glimpse of the 4th moon at around 2 o'clock (looking down the Dob EP).  The 4th moon was Europa which was meant to be transitioning Saturn earlier in the morning, I think I got its glimpse of orbiting around. I made a sketch of what I was seeing at 330am. I revisited Saturn for a sketch and some obligatory photos that looked horrible even for me. I finally revisited Jupiter with Europa out of sight at 430am.

It was a nice early morning viewing  with the birds singing at the background. I have also made my first sketches of my observation at the EP (just some minor adjustments afterwards) so please be kind 😅.

20210602_044632.jpg

20210602_044651.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I think we have to accept Jupiter and Saturn aren't well placed for the next few years. Very brave of you to get up that early to view them.

I can completely understand why those who have not seen them will make the effort. I did the same nearly 40 years ago to get my 1st glimpse of Saturn in the early hours.

Those of us with a few years under our belts might prefer to wait until they are more favourably placed.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

I can see that those who have not seen them will make the effort.

Those of us with a few years under our belts might prefer to wait until they are more favourably placed.

I'd not seen them before but have made the effort twice so far, first time giving me a slightly better view but neither of them earth shattering. I have already checked what time I can see them in, say August, so will be waiting myself too 🙂

• Like 1

@Mr Spock, @John and @scotty38 I still loved it and what's not to like, warm weather and seeing the sunrise later on. Saying that I would still have done it in the middle of winter. If viewing like that excites me, I am looking forward to seeing them when better placed!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

@Mr Spock, @John and @scotty38 I still loved it and what's not to like, warm weather and seeing the sunrise later on. Saying that I would still have done it in the middle of winter. If viewing like that excites me, I am looking forward to seeing them when better placed!

Glad you enjoyed the views.

21 minutes ago, Kon said:

Same here really. The first time I just stayed up as I'd been viewing other things anyway and it got to the time where there was no point me going to bed. I made the schoolboy error of thinking Jupiter was ahead of Saturn so only saw Jupiter that evening as Saturn "never appeared" doh!

On the second occasion I set my kit up and went to bed, setting an alarm for 01:30. I didn't enjoy it this way round as much but also I did have work too so I was sort of half aware not to go too mad....

A crappy snapshot taken on my phone to to show my wife they were there..... 🤣

IMG_0387.jpg

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 3