NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New AR developing? 31st May 2021

Stu

Just had a quiick look in white light after having got back home from a weekend away at relations. AR2827 is showing well, changed again since yesterday with more complexity to the main spot.

I was surprised to see AR2828 visible as a small pore, surrounded by swirls in the granulation.

More surprisingly, I saw more activity over to the other side of the disk (LHS looking at a left right reversed image). Two small quite widely separated spots, one of which itself was split in two. I guess this is the start of a new AR? It does not show on SpaceWeatherLive currently.

Anyone else ‘spotted’ this yet? 😉

• Like 5

Just had another look at higher power (x200 ish), and AR 2828 is actually a larger spot with a tiny pore beside it.

The ‘new’ AR is also four spots in total, two to get pairs spaced quite widely apart. The granulation is showing quite clearly now, despite the variable seeing, and AR 2827 is showing a lot of detail in the main spot. Nice.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just had a quiick look in white light after having got back home from a weekend away at relations. AR2827 is showing well, changed again since yesterday with more complexity to the main spot.

I was surprised to see AR2828 visible as a small pore, surrounded by swirls in the granulation.

More surprisingly, I saw more activity over to the other side of the disk (LHS looking at a left right reversed image). Two small quite widely separated spots, one of which itself was split in two. I guess this is the start of a new AR? It does not show on SpaceWeatherLive currently.

Anyone else ‘spotted’ this yet? 😉

I imaged it for about an hour and an half this afternoon - basically until I ran out of disk space. One has developed much larger than when I glanced at this group yesterday. 

image.png.a026c6a4c8caec69d6ca57f605fbd9b9.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

I imaged it for about an hour and an half this afternoon - basically until I ran out of disk space. One has developed much larger than when I glanced at this group yesterday. 

image.png.a026c6a4c8caec69d6ca57f605fbd9b9.png

Lovely shot! A lot of that coming through visually though the seeing is not the best so the petal detail in the larger spot is only being hinted at, not ‘in your face’ as it is when the seeing is excellent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely shot! A lot of that coming through visually though the seeing is not the best so the petal detail in the larger spot is only being hinted at, not ‘in your face’ as it is when the seeing is excellent.

I found this too, was only fleeting moments where the dark lanes and filaments were defined inside the larger foetal shaped sun spot in my 80mm. It is quite windy here but I expected seeing to be a bit better with recent conditions.

Saw a new, small spot region on the south-west limb of the solar disc this morning. Checked on spaceweatherlive.com and it hadn’t been numbered, but checking now and it has been updated as 2829. Seeing wasn’t the best but it’s great to just leave my small frac scope set up and pinch a few minutes here and there throughout the day.

06636028-9328-40F4-99DF-48A9AA0CB348.jpeg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Saw a new, small spot region on the south-west limb of the solar disc this morning. Checked on spaceweatherlive.com and it hadn’t been numbered, but checking now and it has been updated as 2829. Seeing wasn’t the best but it’s great to just leave my small frac scope set up and pinch a few minutes here and there throughout the day.

06636028-9328-40F4-99DF-48A9AA0CB348.jpeg

Thanks for the number update. I caught it yesterday right on the limb but didn’t have a chance today. Image is left right reversed.

That’s what I tend to do too, leave the scope out and just grab a quick look every now and then to see what’s changed, or if the seeing is better

7AC8386F-43E0-44D2-9235-B5317CA1CA28.jpeg

• Like 1