Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lobster Fra Diavolo- NGC 6357 in Narrowband

Cataloged as NGC 6357, the Lobster Nebula houses the open star cluster Pismis 24 near its centre, home to unusually bright and massive stars. The overall blue glow near the inner star forming region results from the emission of ionised hydrogen gas. The surrounding nebula, holds a complex tapestry of gas, dark dust, stars still forming, and newly born stars. The intricate patterns are caused by complex interactions between interstellar winds, radiation pressures, magnetic fields, and gravity. NGC 6357 spans about 400 light years and lies about 8,000 light years away toward the constellation of the Scorpion. (apod)

When I attempted this one last year, I failed miserably due to a mix of reducer & spacing errors so I really wanted to revisit this and get it right! 😇

My gear is now (finally) working beautifully! So here it is in all it's lurid narrowband glory (with RGB stars) is the classic cosmic crustacean, NGC 6357.

Taken entirely remotely via Stellarmate  during lockdown #4 in suburban Melbourne, Australia. 🇦🇺

Chroma Blue: 16x120" (32')

Chroma Green: 16x120" (32')

Chroma Red: 14x120" (28')

Chroma SII 5nm Chroma SII: 14x1200" (4h 40')

Chroma Ha 2" 5nm: 18x1200" (6h) bin 1x1

Chroma OIII 3nm O3: 27x1200" (9h)

Integration: 21h 12

Imaging telescope: Takahashi TOA-130 APO Refractor

Imaging camera: QSI 6162 monochrome

Mount: Takahashi NJP Temma-2

Guiding camera: Starlight Xpress Lodestar Off Axis Guider

Takahashi 67-FL flattener

Stellarmate Raspberry Pi-4

6357_HaO3S2RGB_AB.jpg

Edited by AndysAstroPix
typo!
  • Like 21

• AndysAstroPix changed the title to Lobster Fra Diavolo- NGC 6357 in Narrowband