Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which set up would you choose?

Doc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers John have just enlarged it in PS and it's a bit hard to tell but looks pretty good.

I've looked at a few different shots now and 4 minutes seems to be the max until streaking starts.

Even so alot and be captured in 4 minutes.

With a guide camera installed I bet your set up will be capable of alot more.

If you wouldn't mind John.

Coco I've also considered the astrotrac for all the reasons you mentioned and buy the time I've bought some lenses I bet the cost would be similar.

If I was just interested in widefield then the astrotrac would win, but a ed80 and Eq mount should enable much more close up photo's.

True but the ED80 only weighs 2kilos? Fit that on top of the Astrotrac :(

Astrotrac claim ''Increased 15 kg (33 lb)load capacity'' AN ED80 and 40D or similar should be a breeze.

True but the ED80 only weighs 2kilos? Fit that on top of the Astrotrac :(

Astrotrac claim ''Increased 15 kg (33 lb)load capacity'' AN ED80 and 40D or similar should be a breeze.

Wow I didn't know it carried that much.

The tripod would be the limiting factor more than the astrotracs load capacity. With a decent tripod and heads I have seen a Televue 102mm scope taking images at Kelling Heath.

Regards

Kevin

Your correct about the heads. that's why I didn't order the geared 410 as the manufacturer only rates it 4.9 kilos MAx !!

I find it Odd that Astrotrac would sing and dance about it's total weight capacity yet recommend a weak head????

Guy

Am using an early heavy duty Manfrotto tripod with an early HD 3 way head. rated at 12kg's That should be enough for average usage.

My Astrotrac tripod uses the old butterfly wing nuts which are out of vogue but cheap to buy its also anodised silver like the Astrotrac so should all come together and look aesthetically pleasing :(

Guy

Archived