Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Swindon Stargazers club website

timetraveller

Hiya Guys and Girls

I have been a very busy little bumble bee over the last few weeks or so racing around like a comet blazing a trail setting up the new Astronomy club here in swindon. I have spent the last few days creating a new web site for the club and would really appreciate some constructive criticism on it please bear in mind though it is still definitely a work in progress the web address is below

moderators if this post is in the wrong place please forgive and feel free to move elsewhere

regards Pete

http://swindon-stargazers-club.webeden.co.uk/

Just tired again, same error, all other sites working from my browser though

Network Timeout

The server at swindon-stargazers-club.webeden.co.uk is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

Dunno what you did, but it works now!

Comments

1: Experian credit scores?...don't like that (guess it's a free hosting service?)

2: Google ad links for moon and stars etc at the top???? (as above)

3: Side tool bar overlays text in the frame (e.g about us)

4: Do you need to state your constitution?

5: Inconsistent use of colours etc (white on grey...usually a bad idea) http://swindon-stargazers-club.webeden.co.uk/#/members/4532836759

6: Maybe add a list of speakers rather than an events calendar, and when you have observing nights

7: Dangerous having feed links and blogging for comments,,,especially if its not restricted access...

8: Scroll bars/sub frames in join section seem a bit pointless, and the click on this box link to join isn't implemented

9: Nothing yet in fees (as you say work in progress)

10: Portal does not require login...I put up a post from Roger Rabbit to prove this

11: No links on contact us page

I test webapps/software (currently testing Mesh CTP) and hardware for a living...so can be a bit harsh when it comes to testing things... I stopped at 11...Spinal Tap did... :(

Promising start, but I would have probably done a limited beta before going live with it

Too much (unnecessary) use of flash in my opinion! Flash is evil - it takes too long to download, it ruins browser navigation (back / forwards, etc). The front page looks blank to me because I have flash-block installed in Firefox. Flash doesn't work well (if at all) from mobile devices.

The location should link to google maps so that I can zoom and see where the meeting is - also if you know the postcode for the community centre put it on the site for sat-nav enabled people, or so we can go and search google maps :(

I 2nd point number 8 above about the scroll bars / sub frames all over the place. I didn't even realise they were there at first so missed half the text!

(You did ask :) ) It's a good start to have a web-presence though. Once the club gets going properly it's probably worth registering a domain name (so you don't have to have "webden" in the url) and getting some hosting that doesn't impose ads and have that banner across the top.

Thats a good first effort :( First, get rid of Google adsense, it's intrusive and honestly, will earn you zilch. Also, on the welcome page (in my browser at least) there are long gaps in the middle of sentences ie The Stargazers Club Is Swindons new Astronomy Club open to anybody

with an Interest in Astronomy and started in 2009 to coincide with the

International Year of Astronomy

The main thing is, you're getting the message out and with a few tweaks you will have a fine website, always remembering that no website will please all of the people all of the time.

Pete, there are some very good freeware HTML coding apps, like Kompozer (though it generates some dodgy code...it works, and you can easily then look at the codebase and remove all the cr*p it puts in). I use a combination of Dreamweaver and MS Visual Studio 2008 (mainly to clean up what dreamweaver spits out) but for wysiwig, Dreamwaevar is still quite good as an editor, once you get some hosting space and your membership/funding is up to speed, your best bet is to build your own site rather than using paid for site building toolsets.

Thanks Nick

I will seriously concider that one bud this was just available as a freebee and im trying to keep my own personal expenditure on all this stuff to a minimum till i can get things up and running so to speak.

I dont want to spend money I may not get back as Im out of work at the mo because of my Knee problems ,and I though a web site was a good tool to have for keeping members and interested parties in the picture on club matters I have already sorted out the link button to Google maps so thats done.

Nick which Bits of the site are actually flash is it the links on the pages ?, as I said im very new to all this web creating game my first go at it and as i said to you earlier im not too proud to ask for help

Hiya Pete,

I reckon it gives a good first impression. Building a website that pleases everybody is impossible, but I think you've got a great start there. The colours look good and it doesn't look too fussy.

There's a few things that I've found can make or break a good website for me:-

- don't use more than two fonts on a page, often just one font across headers and contents is much better

- make sure the layout is simple and clear

- don't put lots on a page

- consistency of colours and fonts throughout the website.

- consistency of upper and lower case.

- always check the spelling.

I think you're already doing a lot of these. There's a few things for you to tweak but it's a very good start!

Archived