Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Esprit 100 owners - Losmandy dovetail question

Hi all,

I hope everyone is keeping well.

I have recently taken delivery of an Esprit 100ed. However I can't work out whether or not I am comfortable with the standard Losmandy dovetail which comes with the scope. More so because there is no room to add a 'safety bolt' at the end to stop the scope from sliding off of the mount, but also for balancing purposes - there is hardly any movement, if at all, to slide the OTA up or down to achieve balance.

Anyhow - just curious on what others have done, whether that is buying a new and longer Losmandy dovetail or just stuck with the original.

Regards

Jonny

I replaced mine with a Vixen longer dovetail, as don't have Losmandy anyway.  I have never heard of a scope sliding off the mount, but if it makes you feel more comfortable,

Stupid length of a dovetail to supply with an otherwise well made and not so cheap telescope.  How on Earth are you supposed to balance things.  

Carole 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, carastro said:

I replaced mine with a Vixen longer dovetail, as don't have Losmandy anyway.  I have never heard of a scope sliding off the mount, but if it makes you feel more comfortable,

Stupid length of a dovetail to supply with an otherwise well made and not so cheap telescope.  How on Earth are you supposed to balance things.  

Carole 

Thanks Carole,

To be honest, neither had I up until recently where I had read a couple of horror stories and thought to myself "that would be just my luck".

But yes agreed that the length of the supplied losmandy is daft for what is, as you mentioned, an expensive scope.

How do you find the vixen dovetail? Donyou experience any flex with it?

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

Thanks Peter. Just out of interest what made you choose the ADM over the 7" Skywatcher one? 

Regards,

Jonny

48 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I have an ADM saddle on my AVX so I thought that I would stick to ADM as it's such good quality.

Thanks Peter. That's fair enough.