Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

High resolution imaging of Mars - volcanoes and deserts

Mars was a marvellous sight last autumn and I have finally got round to making a short video showing my imaging techniques – hopefully they will be useful for anyone imaging the planets.  As always, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

I still get such a thrill that with an amateur telescope (and a second hand one at that!) I can make a map of Mars and observe clouds forming over the Tharsis volcanoes.  So exciting!  That being said, the horrors of an 0200 alarm clock have long since faded – the joys of i) having a permanent set up and ii) working from home due to coronavirus restrictions.

7939679_CloudoverTharsisforfacebook.thumb.jpg.3932539a9e39723daef51dace6fcdd9c.jpg

scope.thumb.jpg.86fc47348d240e3078c53b56f48ff6cd.jpg

Now I am looking forward to Jupiter reappearing after the summer lull, a planet I have not observed in earnest since 2016 while it is so low.

• Like 7

Thank you for your work and your effort to illustrate the stages.

I am still new in planetary imaging, but I hope to manage the next opposition in a good way.

By the way, isn't AS!3 own sharpening "good enough" for getting an adequate view of Mars? My first tests on the Moon were quite good.

N.F.