Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun Activity 6th May 21

valleyman

Bought a new Lunt wedge last week and got out this morning amongst some broken skies and had my first look at the sun for which must be a couple of years.

Had a nice sharp rim with a Continuum Filter fitted. But it all looked pretty quite just now. No spots or Prominces at the moment.

Hope I am right with that and I was not doing anything wrong🙄

Pat

It is a little quiet at the moment, but there are a few small proms visible. However, you wont see them with a Herschel wedge. You need a hydrogen alpha filter/scope for that.

Edited by Roy Challen

The disk looks blank at the moment in White light, so you didn’t miss anything. Which scope were you using the wedge in? If conditions were reasonable then you should see granulation across the surface even if there is no activity. As Roy says, you won’t see prominences in white light, an Ha scope is needed for that.

15 hours ago, Stu said:

The disk looks blank at the moment in White light, so you didn’t miss anything. Which scope were you using the wedge in? If conditions were reasonable then you should see granulation across the surface even if there is no activity. As Roy says, you won’t see prominences in white light, an Ha scope is needed for that.

Using a WO 81 Zenithstar with the Lunt and continuum filter and a 120mm mini from ZWO. Will put the Quark on today and see what we get then. Thanks for the advice. 

Pat

• Like 1