Problem getting laptop to "see" telescope

Hi, I have a Meade ETX 125 telescope with a faulty handset.

I bought a laptop and loaded Ascom, EQmod and Stellarium and started setup.

First, I connected telescope to laptop with relevant cable and usb-ethernet connector.

One of the things requested is a comm. port number, there was no comm. port location in device manager. I then went into “Action” “Add legacy hardware” and followed the instructions. On completion I had a comm. Port 3 with a yellow triangle.

I continued setup entering comm. Port 3 I then clicked on ASCOM Connect which opens with the error message “Connect error; Port not available”

I have tried various ways of entering comm, port on to device manager without success.

Can anyone please help.

I had a similar problem with a Starlight Xpress ccd camera I got. No matter what the thing would not work with the laptop. I was at my wits end. Then I plugged it into a different usb port and it was as happy as Larry.

The port wasn't faulty, it just didn't like it connected on that one. See if it works, you might be lucky. Computers are fickle things, that's why I have switched to the camp of Ludd as I find my patience with tech gets shorter with each year I age.