Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Manufacturers

53 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

No question that current price rise of new items also pushed second hand market up.

Seems like everything has gone up in prices - it's like everyone is trying to make up for losses due do C19 and easiest thing to do is too increase cost of goods and services. Couple that with quantitative easing last couple of years - we now have very decent level of inflation happening.

I must agree re 2nd hand market.

Recently I’ve noted some used kit for sale at around 60-70% of current new cost, rather than what we would normally expect as a fraction of original purchase. To be honest, I’m not sure where I stand on that. No one is forcing us to buy.

I also think that a lot of the increased new costs is in shipping, a significant amount due to the pandemic - there are 10s of thousands of empty containers in UK ports that are going nowhere due to import restrictions elsewhere, and vice version other countries can’t export either.

Production in many areas is also reduced due to movement restrictions.

That puts container capacity at a premium.

Plus in the UK, that most successfully of negotiations, Britains exit from the EU, as not promised has resulted in increased import costs.

Not saying some companies are not also trying to benefit from everyone else’s positions.

It’s all acting against the end user, as usual.

<shrug> we are where we are.

Edited by iapa