Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for a frac for Solar imaging (plus more)

So I've had the DayStar Quark H-alpha 'Eyepiece' Chromosphere for a while now but I don't really have a well matched refractor to use it with yet. Was hoping to get some recommendations on what to consider or to steer away from. I don't really have a rigid budget in mind but maybe somewhere between £1000-£2000. On that note I don't really want to be disappointed either so if it has to be more than that then I'll just save up a bit longer... The specs on the Quark constrains the options to be between F/4 - F/8 and aperture below 150mm (don't really want to get into the realm of having to get a separate ER filter).

This would be mainly for photography. I have a HoTech SCA Field Flattener which is supposed to be good for f/5 - f/8 but I'm not sure whether you actually can use any flatteners/reducers with the Quark? I have read that if you have extra optics between the objective and the quark, you might need additional ER in front of the scope or things might get a bit too hot. One example being a Petzval design...

Needless to say I'd like this frac to be a good performer for night sky imaging as well...

I currently have three CCDs: Atik 383L+ mono, QHY5L-II mono and ZWO ASI183MC Pro

I recently came across the SharpStar 94EDPH Triplet APO. Do you think this could fit the bill?

Thanks in advance,

Kari

Edited by kbrown