NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does a 115mm F7-ish ED doublet apo refractor exist?

I had my eye on Altair's 102mm doublet with FPL-51 glass for £495, but then came across a 115mm triplet for a good (slightly higher, of course) price.

However while the F7 triplet is great for size (71cm w dewshield retracted) and for balance between widefield and higher mag, the triplet is also heavier – meaning I need a lot more mount – and requires cooldown. And given I'm a visual observer only I'm not sure I need the extra clout of the triplet lenses anyway. 

But now I've got the idea of a little extra aperture in my brain, I can't get it out. Yet I can't seem to find any 115mm ED doublets at F7 – Skywatcher make some that are 900mm+ focal length which is just too unwieldy for me. I want that compact, light F7 sweet spot scope, just with 4.5" of aperture.

Is there such a thing? (Don't say Takahashi 😆)

From what I've heard 115mm triplet does not need serious cool down time.

Most people are able to use high power views after only half an hour of cool down.

All the reviews and remarks on that particular model have been highly favorable.

I like my Vixen SD115S a lot, but it is F7.7 (f890) and over £2K new. It's not particularly light at 6.5kg either. But it's a doublet and a darn fine one. 

P.S. no, it's not for sale

Edited by melsmore
Postscript