NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount upgrade

phattanglo

If you're not going to change the EQ3-2 mount \ EQ5 tripod, albeit with a GOTO retrofit for the EQ3-2, then apart from easier\computer control, then I don't think much will change....   

If you were to stretch your budget to a used HEQ5\EQ6 then it would be different matter....

28 minutes ago, phattanglo said:

Thanks for that info, I'll leave it for now then.

As I already had the eq5 tripod I thought the eq5 mount would be an improvement over the eq3-2.

Oh yeah the EQ5 is an improvement over the EQ3-2. Not massively better but slightly better. Your first post reads like you just wanted to add goto to your existing EQ3-2! 

Haha, poor English.

What I meant to say was, would my existing goto from my EQ3-2 fit an EQ5 but having just had a look on the FLO site it would appear not.

I passed my 3-2 tripod on many years ago after someone very kindly gave me an EQ5 tripod so I though it might help to get an EQ5 mount to go with it.

To be honest for visual observation I'm perfectly happy with my present setup, my only gripe is the lack of build quality on the mount as I always struggle with balancing due to the friction levels inherent in the design.

This is despite a complete strip down, clean and re-lube, although I have to say I managed to get the backlash to an acceptable level

Oh well nevermind

7 minutes ago, phattanglo said:

To be honest for visual observation I'm perfectly happy with my present setup, my only gripe is the lack of build quality on the mount as I always struggle with balancing due to the friction levels inherent in the design.

This is despite a complete strip down, clean and re-lube, although I have to say I managed to get the backlash to an acceptable level

You will get the same with the EQ5 because that only has bearings in the RA axis, the DEC still has the nylon flat washers for bearings, same as the EQ3.

I tried the same strip down, bearing replacement, re-lube with my EQ5, it does guide better and I sorted the backlash but it's still stiff when trying to balance it. Maybe I was over enthusiastic with the grease. ;)

Funnily enough I was just going the old post titled EQ3-2 strip down which I followed originally.

It just occurred to me as the bearings on the 3-2 are plain bushes, would there be any merit in lapping them in with a bit of fine metal polish and then clean and lubing them.