Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron FirstScope Signature Series - Moon by Robert Reeves - Tested

Ok confession, I bought this 'mini beast' telescope partly in case it tempted any my kids to join me under the stars, but also I'll admit I also wanted to have a play 😃 

In summary, the mount and focuser are both great for a telescope costing just £69, a very smooth mount to use on both axis. The 76mm spherical mirror and eyepieces are what you might expect, well, with the exception of one thing mentioned below that you definitely wouldn't expect lol. If there was an award for most needed eyepiece upgrade this scope would win it, what a difference when I popped in the 8mm BST!

It arrived very well collimated which is great, I think this is maybe the 4th? telescope I've tested with a factory fixed primary mirror and all have arrived a ok. 

I think the funniest thing was when the 4mm Ramsden eyepiece became stuck in the focuser due to the slippy low profile volcano top. I would say this is a bit of a design faux par lol It wouldn't even come out when I turned the scope upside down! I very nearly donned marigolds for extra traction 😆 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 4

I’ve often wondered about getting one of these, or one of other branded ones, as a cheap scope that could be left in the boot of the car or to loan out to an interested friend or neighbour. 🤔

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Great video and good to see a genuinely objective review of a scope like this.  No hype, accepts the limitations, discusses the positives and suggestions for good upgrades.  Quite an impressive little scope really given the price - even with the eyepiece nonsense.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Great video and good to see a genuinely objective review of a scope like this.  No hype, accepts the limitations, discusses the positives and suggestions for good upgrades.  Quite an impressive little scope really given the price - even with the eyepiece nonsense.

Thanks, I just try and say what I see :)

I think an Huygens wouldn't be a bad idea on a budget f10 scope, but f/3.95 hhmm? I may have to try the modified achromat eyepieces supplied with skywatcher scopes and see how much better they do. MA eypieces must be pretty affordable to include also? 

• Like 1