Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 HII

jetstream

A brief report on a stunning session last night. Very good transparency , SQM running 21.6 or so and the 15" with cleaned mirror was all Sky Commandered up. The eyepieces used were the 20mm APM and Nikon 14mm HW and were enlisted for the galaxy cruise.

First off M51- the view rocked me back, distinct compact spirals with bright sections in them all with the connecting bridge. Man, after seeing this I knew M101 would perform

M101.

I must first say that from dark skies most any scope will show a bright "puffball" with the right eyepiece and the H130 excels at this. Throw the 24 ES 68 in there and away you go.

With the the 15" at f4.8  100 deg eyepieces are superb. The first view of M101 with the 20 APM was excellent, showing its very large, offset open spirals to a great extent and with hints of little bright knots  floating in them. In goes the super Nikon HW 14mm and whoa! just enough TFOV and mag to really open up this object. HII's all over the place. This is a must observe from a dark site, no matter what scope or eyepieces you own- try everything you have.

This object is a goto, must observe object for me everytime conditions are good and its placed well. Have fun.

M101 HII.jpg

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Great report, Gerry. Are you using a UHC filter to pick up the HII regions? 

In general no, but I did try the must have filter slide with the ultra high transmission TV UHC. The effect is interesting. In reality a higher exit pupil will help these with the UHC.

Have you seen these features Neil?

Edited by jetstream

Excellent, informed account, M101, M51 are superbly placed presently. Observed each last night, M51 , NGC 5195 accentuated prominently. As you mention, responding vividly to low - mid power ultra wide field.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say HII 😁

lol!

Years ago I spent time on HII regions in galaxies inspired by the dobmobs reports. I still revisit and just love when conditions are top notch to see them. There is so much to see out there.

ps did I mention the bucketload of galaxies I observed in Virgo?😃

also got 5 of those pesky galaxies in Uma- the 5th is the trick and the 14mm HW surprised me by pulling it out easily. Mind you the 10" does when doing the Marty Feldman using orthos

Ie NGC 3990 etc

Did you get all five in the 10"?

and....

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1

Sounds like a fab session. The bright HII region in M33 is the only one I’ve really tried for. Looking forward to exploring for more now. I haven’t observed the NGC 3990 group before but that’s on the list too now. I’ll start with the 10mm Delos and then try the 9mm BGO. The fifth galaxy is Mag 13 so is gonna be a tough one! 

Virgo is just bursting with galaxies. It’s nearly impossible to track what you’re seeing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Excellent, informed account, M101, M51 are superbly placed presently. Observed each last night, M51 , NGC 5195 accentuated prominently. As you mention, responding vividly to low - mid power ultra wide field.

Glad you got out for a session Iain! Congrats.

• Like 1